Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

I followed UAD with their DSPs and software from about 2000 to 2010. Then I had the impression that moneywise it is a “barrel without bottom” and stopped it.
It must be mighty impressiv to make me considering using UAD again - and with subscription it won’t happen anyway.

• 58 seconds of demo song. Not a solo. Are they kidding?

Overrated and overpriced.
I have a second hand (third hand, actually) Apollo Twin MK1 in my studio pc. Main reason is their 224 reverb, that I really love.

A very good Hammond running into the dsp is tempting me, but only if it’s good as the IK.

1 Like

I am not sure, but since it is in new Spark package, it could be working only as native in CPU

Oh, thanks for this info. Hoped it was for UAD internal dsp. :unamused:

Samba Pa Ti. Gregg Rolie. This 2 measures is killing me. I wrote it out. Sure, I can play the lick. But I CANNOT get a respectable sound of any of the 4 or 5 Organ/GuitarRig/Leslie, etc. rigs I have. OK, @Corky, getting this sound is a challenge for me. What say you? Link to my OneDrive https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmL7b85bam0fkMUYGjt-MVPxUYKLQg?e=HBbonG

1 Like

I will give it a look, and come back with the solution. :grin:
Which VST you own do you prefer?

1 Like

I assume you are speaking of the organ change at 1:34. The pad type sound during most of the song is done on the lower key bed, and the bright sound is performed on the upper. It’s not a problem to get that sound, and I know how to get it. Just let me know which vst.

@Corky $Hammond #1, Blue #2, anything else. I think I have them all. And I think he’s playing through a guitar amp.

@Corky oh, the pad was easy. The audio complexity of the little 2 measure solo is throwing me

IK Hammond or Blue 3 ok?

1 Like

Yep!

OK…will be back in a little while…I am juggling laptops since my test machine hard drive crashed.

Richard

Sorry it took so long, but shifting between 2 computers took awhile. Check it out and let me know your opinion. I can adjust it if needed, but it was somewhat close to what I was hearing. If you want it on Blue3, I can set it up, and it will save you some CPU load. You will need to import it on the Cantabile Program. If you need any help, I will be available.

Cheers

Corky

Hammond B-3X 1-Samba Pa Ti.CantabileProgram (34.4 KB)

1 Like

@Corky. Pretty much nailed it! I was trying to start with 888800000 and EQ in some highs. Sounds like the drawbar setting Rolie uses–I’m sure he randomly pulls out a shape more than hitting numbers.

So, now on the performance, the first note of the lick is a “D”. Is he hitting an “A” below it at the same time? I feel like there is another note there, but maybe it’s the harmonics I’m hearing (well, also loosing hearing, but that’s another story). The story of this song seems to be it was recorded at a really high volume level. There was one group of keys players and guitar players arguing past each other about the sound(s) of the respective instruments that I thought was pretty funny.

From what I’m getting, a lower D note is being held while the lick plays off a high B note, with extra note with it is E, which moves to D near the end of the lick. The chord progression starting on the lick is D…then back to root G-Bm-Am-D. So, the beginning of the lick is based off the fifth…D. But the start of the lick could be based off an Em, if that makes any sense, as there is the E note playing with the lick.

2 Likes

In most cases I’ve seen, Rolie uses key switches a lot. But I think in this instance, the lower keys are playing most of the song. The lick is on the upper where he preselected the drawbars, and had the c3 vib/chorus already set.

@Corky. Yeah, I like those lower manual pads! I kinda had that figured out. That lick though was eating my lunch. And The C3 vib/chorus gave it that swimmy sound.

I almost never try to learn something note-by-note, but in this case the guitar player did, so I figured I’d try to keep up with him. I kinda had something in my head to play that was similar, so relearning it was harder that just getting it right the first time.

I was pretty sure most of the distortion was coming from a guitar amp. Most helpful, though. Big thanks.

R

1 Like

He was running thru a Leslie, but in those days, the Leslies and the Hammonds were hot-rodded with different amps and tubes to get the dirt. They also had pre-amps, and distortion pedals to run between the organ and the Leslie, for even more grit. It’s pretty cool how they figured out how to get the sound.

2 Likes

Found this Chester Thompson Squib Cakes solo on YouTube (has a great vantage point):

The video is part of a YouTube playlist titled “Mix - Make It Up SOLO from Lachy Doley’s ONLINE”

It was listed on this Hammond resource websites I stumbled across while searching a very good player I found here in CT - Joey Primo (not mentioned on the website though…).