Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

My opinion: B-3X in Vst2 seems less heavy than in Vst3, it takes less time to load. I err?

It’s more an annoyance for me since I don’t play keys and just sequence it. But I don’t remember it being this way when I demoed it. LOL, apparently I was so bamboozled by the great tone I didn’t notice.

1 Like

If I still had V2, I would test it. I tend to purge unused versions unless they are better than the newest.

Testing C4 I noticed that the B-3X VST2 loads with less time.
I had the VST3 version installed and replaced it because I had several crashes.
So by reloading VST2 I didn’t have any more crash issues and I noticed that the loading is more timely.

Hmm, not 100% sure. Looks like the VST3 version does show the grey loading screen on first opening the GUI, while the VST2 version doesn’t. But OTOH, the VST2 version takes longer for the window to appear in the first place, so maybe overall it could be somewhat similar.

TBH, not going to be super-scientific about it - still an annoyance, no matter which version you are using. I tend to use VST3 versions in Cubase, because VST3 plugins can reduce CPU load when not needed (e.g. no audio on a track), but in Cantabile I still use mostly VST2 plugins.

Cheers,

Torsten

I use Vst2 in Cantabile essentially due to the crashes I encountered with Vst3.
What then I see the loading more immediate, I found it on my laptop.
It may be my impression, it may be.
But I can’t give a precise answer.
That’s 3 to 5 seconds shorter.

The GUI thing is a nightmare. “Oh, now that I listen back I really think the amp drive should come up a little. I’ll click on it to open the interface and go eat lunch. Then I can adjust that knob when I get back.”

Later that day-

“Yeah, and I think I want to tweak the drawbars. I’ll just do that tomorrow.”

3 Likes

So everyone has the problem, hence why my tech ticket with them is ignored! Hopefully they address it at some point…

2 Likes

Well, you DO all realize that the graphics are all in 8k for display on HUMONGOUS monitors at stadiums, don’t you?

(I’ll stop now…)

Terry

4 Likes

We need someone like Brad to fix it for them.

1 Like

Hi All,

@Tweaker made some nice improvements to the Factory Combo Racks I posted above. I am posting them here as update revision 1.2. The new thing you’ll see is that the Create new state will show the dialog box first and after you fill it in and click OK the GUI’s for the plugins will load. Very cool and stable for me.

The edit sequence also includes the feature that brings up the dialog box for renaming the preset you are editing before it loads the GUIs for editing. You can just cancel it if you want to keep the same name.

Also I added a switch for the Leslie speed switch configuration that allows you to choose the CC1 mod wheel type of input or a damper pedal input which is latched. (one press turns it on and another turns it off). This is a set it and leave it global setting as it stands but could be set up to save the mode with the preset if one wanted to.

Thanks go to Al (Tweaker) for the improvements. :+1:

Factory Organ Combo Racks v1.3.zip (1.4 MB)

Cheers,

Dave

4 Likes

Would you be willing to share the sequence as MIDI? I currently have that organ intro as part of my daily practice routine (getting close to stable at real-time speed :wink: ), but the MIDI drums I’m using as backing tracks (got them from somewhere on the Interweb…) are pretty brutal and inorganic. So your drum sequence could really come in handy…

I’m somewhat sure of the organ part I notated, but also interested in any parts you heard differently…

Cheers,

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Here are the midi file for the B3 part and the preset for B-3X that the midi file depends on.

Caveat: I sequenced in Reaper and there seems to be issues with correctly identifying the octave in Reaper, all to say I think the midi file is off by an octave though it plays correctly in Reaper. So you may need to adjust accordingly.

Also, the drawbar settings are very dependent on additional processing (which I accomplished outside of B-3X) so are probably bass heavy without it…but I have no doubt you will be able to deal with that!

Final caveat: I have high confidence in the notes since I listened to them at half speed and thru filters to arrive at what the sequenced notes are. The one place my confidence is not as high is the long and loud chords towards the end, they fit, but not so positive fingerings (to use a guitar term) are the same. So many overtones in B3 its difficult to ID chord fingerings…so if you hear/play them differently with different drawbars/overtones let me know!

As for the drum part, not finished with it yet since I got so sick of listening to the song (lol)…but your request is enough to get me interested enough to finish it since I haven’t had to listen to it for a week or so. Its sequenced for Tunetrack’s Superior2 Avatar kit using the Allen Morgan “Epic Kit” mixer preset, so you will have to map/mix accordingly when I post it later (hopefully this weekend sometime).

LOL, I’m doing that arms stretched bow up and down thing to anyone who can actually play the B3 part! :smiley:

Foreplay midi and B-3X settings.zip (6.2 KB)

[edit] Also, it started life as the internet version that is widely available but in the end I deleted all of the notes from it and sequenced my own. But there may be meta data in the file that refers to the internet version, not sure… LOL, I suppose now there are two internet versions…

[edit 2] BPM is 89.14 on my machine matched to the original song…

2 Likes

Well, not quite there, but I’m pretty stable around 160 bpm. Getting there at 170, but still too many glitches at 180…

I have a Cantabile song set up with the backing tracks in states from 140 to 180 bpm, so I simply step through the song states and work my way up - nice way of practicing :slight_smile:

@sekim

I played this many times in the 80s & 90s at full speed. It does take much practice and many other movements, such as pedal usage, differing drawbars, all at the same time with both hands working the patterns. I recently saw a band doing this, but the organ player only used partial patterns. The audience didn’t know, but I did. Just plain lazy.
BTW…my presets for this song are wrong. Dave and I were having problems where a preset state would copy to the next state. Dave fixed it, but I failed to update this song. I will have an update on settings and notes soon to post.

LOL, I suppose the only thing that matters if it isn’t an audition! :rofl:

1 Like

Regardless of how you interpret the BPM of the actual song, the BPM of the sequence (89.14) is what I used to set a usable (for me) click to match to the .wav in order to do the sequence… :slight_smile:

The drum sequence went pretty quick so here it is. It has a ReadMe in the zip that should help you make sense of what mods you’ll need to do if you don’t have ToonTrack Superior 2 (or 3) (also you’ll need Reaper to correlate the note names in the attached map to the articulations in Superior 2) . If you do and need the Morgan Allen preset as I modded it, let me know… LOL, the part is brutal and pretty insane, but then so was the real deal. The pocket should be reasonably good with the B3 sequence. As with the other, BPM for the file to play correctly is 89.14 on my machine. Of course each machine is a little different and it can be set at whatever if you aren’t trying to sync to a .wav of the original…

Foreplay drums and map.zip (4.7 KB)

Hey @sekim,

Very cool MIDI file and preset. I’m hearing and learning several parts that I’ve been missing. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Al

Yes, that seems to be compatible with the MIDI file out on the web. It’s the rough equivalent of my 180 bpm - just a question of interpretation.