Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Hi Torsten,

I was attempting to explain to David what I do know about triggers but maybe a separate thread would be a good place to get all the folks in on it to share their know how. I’ll get it together and post later. Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Dave

1 Like

Many thanks for all your work on all your presets!

Ramon

1 Like

I see the presets in the Rack, but they aren’t changing the sound inside the Plugin (B-3X in my case). What am I doing wrong?

Sorry if it is something obvious…

Ramon

Hi Ramon,

PM me & I’ll help you get it going…

Dave

Finally got off all the work duties and got time to sit down and try the presets - they are awesome! And works perfectly with VB3-II without the IK leslie - thanks. I still need to set up the bindings to get my halfmoon and pedals working as I am used to, but that’s details.

Thanks to both of you for all the hard work put into this, and sharing with the rest of us. Talking about sharing, when will we get the story about Tom Scholz and the settings for “Foreplay”?

2 Likes

Look at the Boston preset, and read the notes I made on it.

But … it says “I actually obtained drawbar settings directly from Tom Scholz. That story can be discussed at a different time, but it is absolutely true.”. That’s not a story, that’s a teaser :-).

It is actually a real story, and I need to revisit a few things in that preset, because I think something may have accidentally changed during my haste to post. THAT is the teaser. :grin: I will review it soon and update the rack when I get some time. I will let you know.
I do know the VB3-II is outstanding on most of the presets. Shocked me for sure.

1 Like

@Corky and @dave_dore;

many thanks for the great work on the presets and the detailled infos about the players.
Though I own all organs and the T-Racks leslie too I only used the B-3X in the last months. But now I’ll have a look at the VB3 II again.
Great ressources for learning from a Cantabile3 insider and an experienced organ player.

1 Like

So, would you like to know the true story?

1 Like

So, you are talking about the organ sound that made it to Rick Beatos top 20 of all keyboard sounds and ask if we want to hear the true story about how you discussed this with Tom himself?!? Yes, pretty please with sugar on top, I would love to hear the story.

And Tom made it twice to the list, actually, as the only keyboard player.

3 Likes

@TorstenH

OK…here goes:

I received a call from a studio owner I know very well.
He said I needed to get to the studio by 4:30. Of course, I asked why, and he said to just be here.
I got there around 4 and he waved me into the control room. He was on a Zoom type call thru a studio owners subscription service. They interviewed engineers, artists and producers “live” and were allowed to ask questions of the guest. Tom Scholz was the guest at his personal studio. My friend knew how big a fan I was of Scholz. We sat and watched the interviewer, and Tom go thru gear, and recording techniques. My friend said “ask him a question when the time comes”. So, I asked, “Tom, can you demonstrate how you setup, and play Foreplay”. He said “yes”, and moved to his organ, He went into the whole setup, talked about the drawbars, other settings, and played the whole Foreplay intro. I was frantically scribbling down everything I could. He was really sincere and helpful with everything. As, far as I know, there were no recordings of this. I’ve searched for a long time, but never came up with that session, but there are videos of him playing the organ, but not as instructional as the “live” one I was in.
There it is!
And yes…I did type “long time” in the text.

6 Likes

LOL, I just finished sequencing the whole song so it’ll be interesting to see how close/off my settings are in different parts of the song. But hey, at least I know I sequenced the right notes…I’m so sick of listening to that song at half speed thru filters I don’t think I ever want to hear it again! :rofl: In deference to the owner and the copyright police I suppose I won’t be posting it anywhere…but a great experience in learning B3-X in context of a full mix.

[edit] The B3 part was hard enough to sequence with a bazillion notes, but the drum part has at least ten bazillion :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Is anyone else experiencing abysmally slow UI open of B-3X after the initial load? In Cantable its taking about 3-4 seconds to open the UI after loading the plugin and closing the UI. I’m not concerned about the load time so much, but just to open the UI of a loaded plugin taking 3-4 seconds? And in Reaper it’s like 6-7 seconds. Tried it on several machines, same thing.

1 Like

Yup - B-3X is horrible regarding its GUI loading time. Don’t know what IK did there - definitely not good programming…

And it’s doing that in all hosts - not a Cantabile issue.

1 Like

Of course, you understand, B-3X is a hybrid, using some modeling, and samples, as so is B5. All the others I discuss here are purely modeled, quick in loading, and easy on resources. That is why many here are backing away from samples, and using plugins like Swam, and Pianoteq.
After the initial load, B-3X in a rack is not a problem.

That can’t really be the reason for the GUI taking ages to open - the samples have long been loaded when loading the plugin (otherwise B-3X couldn’t be playing). As I understand this is about the time to open the GUI, not to load the plugin. And in that aspect, B-3X is painfully slow…

That is what an official from IK told me, just repeating what he said (probably a 17 year old music store-type guitarist/employee). I suspect the graphics also slow the process down. Regardless of what causes it, we still have to deal with it, if we want to use it. It is better now than the 1st version. After all the negative backlash about high cpu usage, they did manage to reduce it in one of their updates. I really have no problem with it at gigs.

1 Like

B-3X is extreme in this regard but other IKM plugins do load slowly too.
In addition B-3X often brings studio one (each version I had so far) to hang when loading the GUI and neither IKM nor Presonus had a solution.
No problem at gigs since I don’t have to open the GUI.

1 Like

Yup, when the GUI opens, it seems to be super-busy loading all kinds of resources needed for the GUI layer. But I agree - they seem to have worked on that in recent releases, it takes “just” around 5-6 seconds to open the GUI on my studio machine now. In previous versions, the GUI used to open with just an empty grey screen, with an agonizingly slow progress bar until it finally displayed some content; in the current version, it just takes its time opening the GUI window, but then no more loading progress bar :slight_smile: .

The actual loading of the plugin (without opening the GUI) doesn’t really take that long, about 3 seconds or so. And the other good thing: the sound generating part of B-3X stays active, even while waiting for the GUI to open, so no “freezing” or anything. I’m not using Studio One, so can’t compare notes there.

Blue3 in comparison is definitely more snappy, both in loading and in opening the GUI.

But sure, the GUI opening time doesn’t really matter when gigging - all my live editing is done directly with my drawbar sliders, so no need to wait for a GUI. Who wants to fiddle with a mouse while on stage…

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like