Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Hi Fred,

I downloaded it and listened through my mixing desk setup. I didn’t notice volume changes being out of line for the B3 part.

A real nice track Fred!
I heard a minor dip in volume at 0:47 & an increase at 3:10
I would classify it as musically expressive. :wink:
Sounds really good to my old ears.

Thanks! The guy we’re doing it for is a good singer, too. I’ll post the finished track- will likely be a week or 2, he currently has Covid (no worries; he’s asymptomatic and feeling fine). His next one is gonna be killer; a 10 minute old school Pentecostal rave-up lol

1 Like

Sounds great to me Fred, It’s hard to tell if the jumps are drawbar settings jumping or volume pedal changes, to my ears! Nice mix though, killer drum sound!

P

@FredProgGH

Fred…I tried this in Reaper. It worked just fine. I will experiment with it some more this weekend when I have some time (damn doctor appointments everyday this week!! :roll_eyes:).

I erased the cc11 track and SOMETHING is still turning the organ down at random points in the track. I think it’s a project specific glitch- I’ve never encountered this before and today the entire application crashed while trying to rebounce. I suspect I have loaded a plugin somewhere that is not playing nice. The interaction with B3X may be coincidental…

That wasn’t specifically @toaster lol The drums are the Sounds of Hansa SDX for Superior 3. I think. Gotta go back and look…

Something happened on my system. Had to reinstall Kontakt, I couldn’t get the GUI to open without a crash. Things seems to be behaving more normally now. Not entirely sure what the root cause of my issues was…

1 Like

Those drums sound great. The whole track sounds amazing - if that isn’t a recording of a bass player we’re doomed (us bass players that is) :grinning:

What I want to know is where is the switch to change the persian rug from red to green?!? Who can do anything creative with a red rug staring at them?? IK are such slackards!
:laughing:

On a more serious note, here is an interesting tidbit I found while working with EMU drivers (since there is info in this thread about that). Windows allows creation of a group policy to prevent updates to the drivers you specify. Very easy to enable and disable as needed. No more Windows update trashing my drivers:

4 Likes

Thanks! I have faked some decent bass parts but yeah, that’s real.

IT’S BACK !!

PRESET MANIA #13 – Corky’s Favorite #2

This preset is a “goto” when looking for a Soulful, somewhat Gospel type feel. It works well in songs by Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Otis Redding and Bob Dylan. Unlike my #1 favorite, this one is drawbar specific. When I use it, I am in the 2 top octaves, usually with Leslie on fast, and doing stabs or accents. The Bb key switch is full drawbars, just for an occasional added flavor. The lower keyboard is set for a mellow background feel. I use this on “Chain Of Fools”, some Sly and The Family Stone tunes, Dylan’s “Like A Rolling Stone”, and some earlier Tom Petty. Many uses for songs in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s, if that’s your thing.

THE PRESETS WERE CREATED IN CANTABILE v.3673 NOTICE: THE B5 IS NOW VERSION 3. Also, Blue3 is now VST3

VB3 1.4
Corky’s Favorite #2 - VB3 1.4.CantabileProgram
VB3 1.4 with IK Leslie v5.1
Corky’s Favorite #2 - VB3 1.4 + IK Leslie.CantabileProgram
TR5 Leslie 1-Corky’s Favorite 2 IK Leslie + VB3 1.4.CantabileProgram (11.4 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2
Corky’s Favorite #2 - Blue3.CantabileProgram (24.0 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2 + IK LESLIE v5.1
Corky’s Favorite #2 - Blue3 VST3 + IK Leslie.CantabileProgram (68.1 KB)
TR5 Leslie 1-Corky’s Favorite 2 IK Leslie + Blue3.CantabileProgram (11.6 KB)

VB3 II v2.1 with resident Leslie
Corky’s Favorite #2 - VB3 II.CantabileProgram (33.0 KB)

VB3 II v2.1 with IK LESLIE v5.1
Corky’s Favorite #2 - VB3 II + IK Leslie.CantabileProgram (33.0 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Corky’s Favorite 2 IK Leslie + VB3 II.CantabileProgram (11.4 KB)

B-5 v2.5

B-5 v2.5 + IK LESLIE v5.1

TR5 Leslie 1-Corky’s Favorite #2 - IK Leslie + B5 v3.CantabileProgram (11.5 KB)

B-3X v1.2

Corky’s Favorite #2 - B-3X.CantabileProgram (33.7 KB)

MORE TO FOLLOW !!

1 Like

An FYI update: I had a major issue with my SSD boot drive that made Windows unbootable until I got it fixed. No idea if that somehow relates to my weird Cakewalk and Kontakt issues; theoretically it shouldn’t really because they live on other drives but maybe the registry was affected. Anyway maybe things won’t be acting up now!

1 Like

Hope so Fred. That was weird.

PRESET MANIA #14 – Santana (Gregg Rolie) Evil Ways

Gregg Rolie was the organist and singer for the early Santana. He and Neal Schon (also with Santana) formed Journey, and was the keyboardist and a singer on the first 6 albums.

The lower manual is very essential in this song, and is used in the verses. He uses the upper manual, Bb Key switch on the chorus. On the solo, he uses the B Key switch, enables the percussion switch, and eventually adds the 8’ drawbar to 8. At the end of the solo, he goes back to the Bb Key switch…………very busy indeed, but that’s what we organists do. This is a great solo to have in your memory bank of licks.

To avoid confusion, on the VB3II and VB3 1.4, the “A” button is the B Key switch, and the “B” button is the Bb Key switch. On the B5, the “Set 2” button is the B Key Switch. The “Set 1” button is the Bb Key Switch. Why developers can’t stick to one format is beyond me, but I do understand a button can be controlled thru midi. My biggest complaint with B-3X is there is no way to switch thru a controller within the program.

When making these, The B5 dialed right into place, and is KILLER with its internal Leslie. The Blue3 surprisingly shined, as did VB3II. Since I don’t use any of the stomps in B-3X, it was the hardest to dial in, but I eventually got it, as if it was gonna defeat me…NOT!!

THE PRESETS WERE CREATED IN CANTABILE v.3673 NOTICE: THE B5 IS NOW VERSION 3. ALSO, BLUE3 IS NOW VST3. ENJOY!!

VB3 1.4
VB3_x64 1-Corky-Evil Ways.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

VB3 1.4 with IK Leslie v5.1
VB3_x64 1-Corky-Evil Ways VB3 + IK Leslie.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Corky - Evil Ways - IK Leslie + VB3 1.4.CantabileProgram (11.5 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2 VST3
Blue3 2 VST3-Corky-Evil Ways.cantabileprogram (68.0 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2 VST3 + IK LESLIE v5.1

Blue3 2 VST3-Corky-Evil Ways-Blue3 + IK Leslie.CantabileProgram (68.0 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Corky-Evil Ways- IK Leslie + Blue3.cantabileprogram (11.7 KB)

VB3 II v2.1 with resident Leslie

VB3-II 1-Corky-Evil Ways.cantabileprogram (32.9 KB)

VB3 II v2.1 with IK LESLIE v5.1
VB3-II 1-Corky-Evil Ways VB3II + IK Leslie.CantabileProgram (32.9 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Corky-Evil Ways - IK Leslie + VB3 II.cantabileprogram (11.4 KB)
B-5 v3

B-5 v3 + IK LESLIE v5.1

TR5 Leslie 1-Corky-Evil Ways - IK Leslie + B5 v3.cantabileprogram (11.5 KB)

B-3X v1.2

Hammond B-3X 1-Corky-Evil Ways.CantabileProgram (34.1 KB)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Likes

VB3m released by GSI. Tablet version on app store.

1 Like

Thank you so much Corky ! Can t wait to test it next week…

1 Like

I was surprised at the sound of the VB3m, but saw this today…

From GSI: It’s a mix between the UI elements of VB3-II but with the sound engine of the old VB3 1.4, with a new Bass/Treble EQ and the reverb algorithm of the first Mojo.

I wonder if that will be the basis of their rebuild of VB3 II?

2 Likes

I participate in an open mic that’s tight on space. I’ve been thinking about putting together an extremely portable Hammond rig that I walk on stage in one hand (the other carrying a chair) and just hand a guitar cable to the host to plug in. It would involve a battery operated 49 key controller, perhaps this version of VB3 running on a phone velcro’d to the keyboard with a 3.5mm male to 1/4" female adapter . I would play it on my lap. It would give me more opportunities to sit in. Looks like the Nektar SE49 is a good candidate for the controller (edit - not sure those diving board keys would work that well). I would use one of those phone external batteries to power it.

I could see doing doing that. I think the VB3m sells around $10 U.S.