Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

I always try to recreate that famous sound of “Whiter Shade Of Pale” with a new organ too. My first attempt with the new Blue3 seems to be not so bad in comparisn to B3-X or VB3II.
I often use additional processing with KUASSA Matchlock and Yorck Audio cab sims on organs. It seems to me that it cuts better through the mix without having to play loud.

1 Like

Hi there
I am just a mousier :mouse: so I am curious to understand how VB3 II (latest release) is considered among pros like you
:smile_cat:

VB3 was the standard for a long time, until VB3 II. GSI changed it, after they received a lot of flack from their customers. GSI combined the old with the new last year and is competitive with the other contenders. There are new Hammonds as of the last few weeks, and we will see how VB3 II 2023 stands with them. I expect there will be many updates as the Hammond wars continue.

Regards

2 Likes

Thanks, and what about the Moog?

I have one, Minimonsta 2, and I liked playing it for a while, but I abandoned it because… It’s hard to explain for a mousier (not a musician), but I feel myself unable to produce sounds close to Wakeman/Emerson style

Well, being a mousier and daring to play like them is quite heretical LOL

So I ask for Rick’s & Keith’s forgiveness, but I’d like to re-create the sound at least, but Minimonsta doesn’t do that, apparently

I have only heard this on iPAD speakers, so will check it more tomorrow, but I really like this demo of B3

https://fb.watch/uqWfvZvXfF/?

1 Like

In Minimonsta 2, as also in version 1, there is a whole bank of “Wakemanian” sounds.
The Minimoog is super easy to program, its synthesis chain is more than basic, IMHO.
It’s the essential of subtractive synthesis: oscillator, filter, amplifier, two envelopes and a child-proof modulation matrix. :rofl:

Italian synth guru Enrico Cosimi had one when he was 13, and he was able to reproduce the famous synth sounds of the '70s.

The Minimonsta has many features not found on the original Minimoog. Start by trying plugins that are more faithful to the original, as Cherry Audio Miniverse or Universal Audio Minimoog. They don’t have all the extra features that can be confusing.

2 Likes

I installed Cherry Audio’s new Blue3, but I haven’t tried it thoroughly yet. Big surprise, it is very lite on the CPU, as is the VB3II 2024. Say a third of the B-3X.

3 Likes

A quick test run of the Blue3Organ and “Whiter Shade …” as I remember it in my head:

Drums: Jamstix4; ML-Drums
Bass: MODOBass; Gallien Krueger Amp
Additional Reverb, Comp and Limiter

Just a little trivial observation from another Buchanan video - this one from Rockpalast, Germany. He does a version of Green Onions and there’s the obligatory organ holding it all down, but couldn’t see a Hammondh.
At 11.16 I grabbed this shot. Is it a Yamaha DX of some kind?

looks like a DX7 to me.

Well, after having demoed their sound, I decided to keep my Minimonsta 2

All things considered, I have it already, and I’ve just to learn to use it :smile:

thanks anyway

Looks like wood side panels, which threw me. Thought maybe DX5 but side panel design not quite the same.
Anyway, no biggie, just expected to see the Hammond as per the Austin video.

1 Like

It’s a DX7 with fake wood mactac on the lower part I think. The upper panel looks spot on to me. I had one and the additive algorithm did a decent tone wheel emulation.

2 Likes

What? You guys never played a DX Hammond? Where have you been all these years?

1 Like

LOL - definitely. Had lots of DX - just wasn’t expecting to see that on stage with RB, the wood panels threw me - and, until I saw it, I wouldn’t have known it wasn’t one of these …. Check out the key click!!

2 Likes

The bass player head’s movements remind me a bit the AC/DC axe player
Just the dress-code is different
LOL

3 Likes

No problem, Claudio. You could download the 1 month Miniverse demo from Cherry Audio, set the polyphony to 1 and play around with the controls.
The Minimoog is a great instrument for learning subtractive synthesis, because it is simple and straightforward. The signal path goes from left to right, without any fancy features.
Minimosta (1 and 2) is one of my favourite emulations, and the one I use the most. But it has features added by Gforce that are nice, but don’t help with programming, especially for those unfamiliar with analog synth.

2 Likes

Well, I also realized that I love the analogic-like sound way more than any synth
For example, I still prefer the Hammond or a pipe organ

BTW, I sold EZKeys, so I missed the pipe organ
In case I decide to have one, what can you recommend?
Possibly cheap because I’ll not use it so much often
And no KK tools allowed :rofl:

I think KK stands for Kontakt, right? In case many libraries I thought of are out!

I love the Garritan Classic Pipe Organs collection.

Sorry @Corky we are drifting from the topic… well not entirely, VST Organ does not forbid talking about pipe organ. :wink:

2 Likes

i find it educational :+1: Carry on!

I love the pipe organs too. i was in NY for 4 months in 1972, and stayed in an historic 19th century church with a beautiful, monster pipe organ. I played it nearly everyday.

4 Likes