Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Cool! I think I already have it. One of our members sent it to me last year. I have it on one of my usb drives. If I have a problem, I will be in contact with you.

Many Thanks!

Corky

I attached a .png of the driver installation instructions that I rewrote for better clarity. LOL, one of my duties before I retired from the software business was doing technical documentation, so hopefully enough brain cells still working that this is actually clearer than the original…

Also, here is the link for the download since the thread doesn’t allow upload of a .pdf and you can’t cut-n-paste from a .png:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar-KCv7xikVOh23zeXTESuD8k2ih

Similarly, here are the three PowerShell commands as text so you can cut-n-paste them:

set-executionpolicy unrestricted -scope localmachine

cd c:/temp

./EMU_Driver_Fix

Hopefully this can help you avoid the slow downs I experienced the first time thru.

2 Likes

As a followup to the previous post, here is a caveat to using the above for the 1820m from the thread at KVR (I vaguely remember needing to do this step):

" I got a little confused about the instruction for people with E-MU 1820/1820m/0404 to 'rename the 2 instances of your device name in the EMU_Driver_Fix script '. For the benefit of anyone else who misunderstands this. After you have installed the EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA drivers, open up Device Manager and make a note what the device is called. For me it was ‘E-MU E-DSP’. Now open up the ‘EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1’ in a text editor and change the 2 instances of “E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)” to whatever your device was called in the device manager."

See the KVR thread https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529349

EDIT: so this would be step 4b in the instruction sheet I posted above.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Sekim! :wink:

LOL, I’ll be thanking me too when I lose my notes, a Win update crashes the driver and I need to reinstall it. I’ll know exactly where to find it!!! :rofl:

The part about Windows update crashing the reinstalled driver has happened once, maybe twice. It is usually not a problem though. If it happens, simply follow the procedure and so far at least, its up and working again.

1 Like

Moved here to respect other thread

Everything was sample based then. I, of course, used B4 when I found it. I was using Roland jv 1080 module at that time. Then, like many others, fell hard for VB3. Just look how long it took someone to produce a decent Leslie. THAT is the Hammond sound. All the sampled organs really sounded great, but the rotary was substandard. VB3 changed the echelon for developers, and it took quite a while to get near what GSI was dominating.

2 Likes

One more followup to the EMU 1820m discussion above…since it is a PCI device and PCI is no longer available on new motherboards, I tried one of these adapters after seeing some positive reviews on them for older music interfaces. Works great though requires a right angle SATA power connector which in turn must have some of the rubber sliced off so the card can fit over it. But I can run the 1820m at the lowest latencies ever on the latest mobo so its worth the effort.

I figured as much.

Thanks for the info about the B-3X sale!
I just bought it - initiated by many positive reviews from this list - and a quick listen to the trial version.
Cheers - David

1 Like

Hello All,
Question on dialing in the overdrive on the B-3X. On most of the B3 emulators I’ve used there is a separate control for 'Drive". I don’t see this on the B-3X. I only see the Stomps: OverScream. And it seems to only have a CC for On/Off.

I like to be able to turn the Drive up and down in real time - depending on the song. I do realize the Stomp settings can be stored as presets, but I typically don’t use a lot of presets for my B3 sounds.

Am I missing something?

Cheers - David

Like on the real Hammond, there is not a drive/distortion knob. You can get overdrive inside the CABS -> LESLIE AMP page. Then use the volume pedal to overall control the volume + drive. Using he stomp boxes is not a good idea, unless you need a very creative sound.

1 Like

Thanks for quick answer! I first tried playing around with the CAB/Amp controls, but wasn’t able to get any drive from the volume/gains. That’s when I started looking at the stomps. Perhaps you can point me to the proper settings on the CABS?

I guess I should have thought to look at some of Corky’s presets to see what he has done.

Cheers!

David

Weird, gain and volume controls are a good source of drive. Anyway, because the Leslie amp is after the Hammond, you always need to keep volume pedal down!

Paolo

Actually (AKSHUALLY lol) I’ve found that the stomp eq can be very effective for both eq (duh) and acting as a gain boost for more overdrive!

1 Like

The different amp models do not all give the same amount of drive. If you want heavy distortion you’re going to want the 147 amp and crank the gain. (I think the 147 is the one- it’s not in front of me. The first amp, anyway.). But all of them should drive to some extent- if they aren’t something is up. IK’s Leslies have some of the most natural drive I’ve heard.

EDIT-

Yep- put that amp knob on 147 and crank that Gain knob up.

One secret, I exposed sometime ago, is cranking the mids on the Leslie amp. This only works with the IK Leslie, while other clones have their own nuances. For me, the 147 is more more mellow than the 122. Something about the 122 amp makes it give a much better, and natural driven sound.

You can use the stomps, but they will blow up your CPU. On all my presets, I don’t use them. I get my tones naturally. But, I sometimes use the DI out, insert a pre-amp (or the free Softube Saturation Knob), then out to IK Leslie. It sounds better than than the resident stomps, and doesn’t take a toll on my CPU. I really don’t understand why the B3-X stomps are so hungry compared to their Amplitube stomps.
For a real feel, natural Hammond pedal (swell) drive, use my preset here:

2 Likes

This is why I said creative sound :rofl:

1 Like

I forgot about the mid-range trick- that really does work.

Absolutely :wink:

really? I don’t see that behavior with the stomp page. The post FX are a bit heavy on the CPU, but I find the stomps more benign. I do use the stomp overdrive for some more overdriven progg-ish sounds. The stomp EQ can also (as mentioned by @FredProgGH) help drive the Leslie with some clean gain (up to +20 dB!), plus a selective boost of some mid frequencies can completely change the character of the Leslie drive.

Worth some experimenting, IMO.

1 Like