Collection of free VST (instruments & effects)

I downloaded this yesterday. It’s fun to play. A nice change from the others. Not enough heft for live, but it’s nice to have something simple to just jam on while I’m stuck at home.

• Paul
1 Like

Yeah, saw that. Sampleson is not quite up there with others, but it is free. Nothing wrong with that!

Just discovered this nice sounding phaser emulation. Really simple to use.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Phase_90&id=2747

(32 bit only)

• Paul

Oh SMEG! Valhalla is making a Black Hole verb and it’s FREE!

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-supermassive/

3 Likes

I’m excited! Except for one addition to the delay, he’s been quiet for a while. I love all of the Valhalla plugs.

2 Likes

Another free Hammond! Not awful for that basic jazz sound everyone demos with, Sounds like the overdrive is garbage, of course. Leslie reminiscent of Tony Bank’s phase shifter sound. :smiley:
https://www.lostin70s.com/#/plugins/HaNon%20B70

1 Like

The organ really doesn’t sound that bad. If you could lose their terrible leslie sound, it would be decent with IK Leslie. I doubt they have a brake or DI tho.

1 Like

Yeah it almost sounds like VB3 II with a cruddy Leslie.

1 Like

Incredibly useful beat tool for simple practice to pattern making from Full Bucket. It has it’s own sound engine, independent tempo setting or sync to DAW and full pattern editor.

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/bucketpops.html

Cheers,

Dave

This is a VST 3 only compressor/limiter that is free from a new developer but is IMO fantastic for live work. Extremely clean compression with ultra low CPU has both a zero latency and a linear phase modes. I tried it out and was very impressed. It used only 20% of the resources my go to uses. I think this will become a pay product soon. (and find a place in my rig …)

FirComp

Cheers,

Dave

3 Likes

I don’t see how that can be any good, it doesn’t have a gorgeous GUI that looks like a classic piece of analog gear! If it doesn’t look pretty my brain won’t accept that it sounds pretty. That’s why I don’t use Voxengo :rofl:

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised with NI’s Guitar Rig 6 Player, a freebie JCM style amp/cab using their new amp technology along with OwnHammer IRs. Also includes some good FX and stomps. Even though I own older versions of GR Pro, I never ended up using it. This one I’ll use, they have really upped their game. Definitely worth an audition if you use JCM style amps. LOL it’s good even compared to Neural DSP.

Honorable mention goes to Midi Shape Shifter hosted in SaviHost. It’s like having all of Cantabile’s midi functions and then some in a little executable for those cases you aren’t using Cantabile. Personally, I use it as a global mapper between keyboard/control surface and DAW. I suppose loopMidi needs to be part of the honorable mention as well since the solution requires it too…

Well, just to take your joke seriously :slight_smile: - here is an alternative that should work for you. Still freeware, very easy to use, sounds really good - and have the GUI you ask for …

1 Like

Ah yes! I was joking, but I do like Klanghelm…

1 Like

Yeah - one of my favorite plugs Dexed. Because I have the source code, I’ve done some home improvements with some more options / controls to be closer to the original. DX Velocity, EG timing, some minor code issues.

I have GR 6, but been so piled up with other priorities, I’ve yet to try it. The problem with any NI plugs, is that they promote, sell, then abandon. There were so many good plugs they created, but, for the most part, they stop supporting after the initial sales dwindle. BUT, they seem to update Kontakt every other day. Funny thing is, Kontakt’s GUI has changed very little, and is really outdated. At least, GR doesn’t require Kontakt, and it only took them several years to update. :grin:

That’s why I’ll probably just enjoy the free version this time instead of upgrading my Pro 5. The new one only uses their new amp tech on I believe three of the amps (one of which is the JCM in the free version), the rest are recycled. Same with the FX and stomps. The biggest improvement is in the cab sims where they now use OwnHammer and another company’s IRs. I already have a collection of OwnHammer IRs. And since I spend the bulk of my playing time on a JCM type, I’m good to go with just the freebie.

1 Like

LOL, sure, shell out for something from Spitfire Audio… I just purchased BBC Core and its totally worth the $$. They also have a number of freebies, check out their LAB series, and their free version of BBC (Discovery) but its limited in terms of functionality and sound quality. BBC Core is on sale at the moment for those interested.

I saw where groups of synth players are using it to do live orchestral…probably hosted in Cantabile.