Cantabile, Skype and Wasapi

I’ve been using Wasapi in shared mode to simultaneously run audio files and Cantabile on my laptop. The audio signal goes from my laptop, out the headphone jack and is amplified through a pair of JBL studio monitors. So far so good.

I’ve started taking some piano lessons via Skype. I have the USB webcam mic set as my Skype audio source. When I place a test call to confirm the audio is working correctly, the only sound which the webcam mic picks up is the mechanical sound of my fingers hitting the keys, even though I hear the VST sounds coming out of the speakers loud and clear. The webcam microphone is clearly working because it picks up my voice.

If I bypass the laptop entirely and run the internal piano sound on my keyboard into the speakers, the Skype test runs fine. While that’s an option, I’d rather use the laptop/Cantabile as my sound source.

Any idea what’s going on here?

Well, Skype can only point to one device at a time for input, so you get the microphone. Plus, there is the issue of keeping the caller’s voice from being sent back to them.

I use Voicemeeter with a Virtual Cable to do this exact thing that you are trying to do - it is a donationware virtual mixer software.

Here is a video on using it with Google Hangouts on Air that works the same in Skype:

The following is a little different from the video.

Basically, you make Voicemeeter the default playback and record device for Windows.

There are two output modes - A and B – think “A is for Audition and B is for Broadcast”.

You set the A1 output to your soundcard. If you have an ASIO soundcard, use that and the entire system will adapt to its buffer settings.

Bring your microphone into slider 1 and send it out B as you seldom need to monitor your voice and the latency can throw you

You bring Cantabile into slider 2 via the virtual audio cable and send that signal out both A and B

You send Skype to the default speaker output (which will be the third slider, VAIO, which you’ll send out A only for monitoring the call) and let Skype get its input by setting Voicemeeter as its microphone (that’s coming from the B output).

Now that this is set up, save the setup from the dropdown menu so you can load it instantly in the future.

That should have you rolling!

Terry

2 Likes

thank you Terry, I recall now a discussion some time back about Voicemeeter. I’ll take a look at the video.

1 Like

I possibly would do it a bit differently using Cantabile, switching which signal goes to the Virtual Cable, sending Skype to the virtual cable like in the video, but sending Cantabile to Voicemeeter’s Virtual ASIO, which will come into the center VAIO sliders - so, there are two approaches!

Terry

So the result of this would be that the person on the other end of the Skype call would hear my voice being picked up by the microsphone AND the actual Cantabile audio output, not what’s coming out of the speakers at my keyboard- is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. So you could wear headphones and still do the lesson.

Terry

So I finally sat down and worked through this. I did a test call with Skype. The result is that my voice as well as the audio out from Cantabile is recorded. However, in addition to picking up my voice, the microphone on the webcam is picking up the mechanical sounds of the midi controller keyboard when I press the keys. It’s pretty distracting.

Yes, that is why I always use a headset with a noise-cancelling microphone on its boom. They can be had fairly inexpensively. I would not go below $20, though.

Or if you have a good cardiod you can set up on a boom stand, that is how I do many of my videos, with it right near my mouth (6" - 10"). I use my Shure Beta 87a. I use in-ear headphones in place of the headset in that case.

Webcam mics always, always suck.

Terry

1 Like

Thanks Terry. I have an old headset that came with Dragon Naturally Speaking. Plugged it in and it works great.

1 Like

4 Likes

That looks like a great idea, Ade! Total acoustic isolation while still being able to play the keys!!! :smile:
(I’m gettin’ one. I don’t care how weird it looks on the videos.)

Terry

1 Like

it would be a real showstopper. And this song would be perfect!

1 Like

… and I thought those ‘glow in the dark’ keyboards were safe.:grin:

1 Like

Hey Terry, I recently picked up a used Scarlett 2i2 on Ebay. So to use this in the system, I would select “focusrite USB audio” as my output device, rather than my microphone?? And then would I also select Focusrite for A1? Or no? If you could, please clarify exactly what settings would change by introducing Scarlett into mix. Thanks!

Heck yeah - that is the exact setup I have in the livingroom here - a Scarlett 2i2 and Voicemeeter.

Right - set the A1 item to “ASIO Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver” and it will take on the buffer settings of the 2i2. Those are adjustable by typing “Focusrite” in the Windows button search and it will show “Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Control Panel” - which is pretty minimal. Now your monitoring output is set, and the whole system follows the ASIO buffer settings.

If you are sending the two outputs on the back of the Focusrite to an amp, keep in mind that the big knob will also control its output. That has no effect on the ASIO outputs, however. They get their signal from that A1 selection.

So, in slider one, you want to have it set to nothing at all, and it will adapt and show “A1 ASIO Input (1+2)” - that is your mic coming in through the 2i2. (I’m assuming that’s what you want. That’s how I have it set up.) If you want a single mic in the “center” click the “Mono” button. Slider 2 can be whatever - even a virtual cable.

The A buttons are for “Auditioning” or monitoring and the B buttons are for “Broadcast”. Just remember that and you’ll keep your head straight! The two output systems are entirely separate. If you are using Voicemeeter Pro “Banana” then there are two B outputs - a B1 and a B2, since that version ads a second virtual out called an “Aux”.

Regular Voicemeeter just has the B button with one output - the VAIO (Virtual Audio In/Out). If you have Voicemeeter set as your default recording device in Windows, then it will get its signals from there. Likewise, having Voicemeeter as the default playback device in Windows makes your YouTube videos and media players play through that VAIO slider.

Keep your inputs and outputs separate in your mind! That is a source of confusion for many, since one slider is handling input level, but naturally affects the output level, so people think it is an output slider. But the output sliders are on the far right. The A ones handle the monitor volume and the B ones the output to your Focusrite ASIO output as well as to the Windows Recording default input if you have it set that way. (I would and do!)

So, you’ll want typically the VAIO slider (and VAIO Aux if used) set to both A and B selected. I usually only have the A lit for the mic while checking stuff - there is a bit of latency that I’m not fond of hearing, so I don’t bother monitoring the mic, but just send it out B.

Now, finally Cantabile and other ASIO friendly DAWs will see Voicemeeter as an ASIO device, and also as an ASIO Insert device, which is setup in Voicemeeters settings at the bottom of the “System Settings/Options” dialog. I’d leave that alone till you are comfortable with the basics! It is a pre-(Voicemeeter) fader insert system.

Terry

1 Like

BTW - one very nice use of Voicemeeter with Cantabile is to play back the multi-channel BWF files that Cantabile creates when you have it set to record more than one audio stream. Voicemeeter’s VAIO (and Pro’s Aux) can playback up to eight channels discreetly, OR mix them to stereo by clicking the “Mix Down” button above the output sliders, or in “Pro” clicking the “Normal” button till it says, “Mix Down A” or “Mix Down B”. This works for monitoring (A outputs) or recording (B outputs).

Voicemeeter Pro “Banana” has a “Cassette” recorder that works similarly, recording up to eight channels.

Terry

thanks Terry. I’m at work now but will get on this when I get home. I have a skype piano lesson with a new teacher tomorrow and want things to work correctly from the get-go. One thing- I looked last night and I do not seem to have a focusrite audio control panel.

I downloaded the drivers from focusrite. They installed without a hitch and the Scarlett has been working fine (I bought it used off Ebay with no CD or software code included). Maybe I didn’t look in the right place for the control panel download? I did find a Scarlett Mix Control exe file. I downloaded and installed it. When I rebooted and opened the app, it said that it couldn’t find my Scarlett. Hope I didn’t get a lemon, buying it used from Ebay, but like I said, it’s working fine as a USB audio device for Cantabile.

Hmm, looking into this a little further, it appears that the Scarlett Mix Control is for a different Scarlett model.

I have the latest drivers from Focusrite and the panel comes up as soon as I search for “Focusrite” from the Windows logo. That’s the only way I ever call it up. It is the only thing that comes up!

Terry

One other question- is your Scarlett 2i2 a first or second generation device (1st gen devices have serial #'s starting with “S” or “T”)?

First - definitely first!