How to set up metronome so I hear it but audience doesn't

Here’s my situation. I am playing a jazz piano solo set list on a facebook live broadcast tomorrow night. I have Cantabile output routed into Voicemeeter Potato (asio) which then outputs to OBS Studio. I am using USB headphones to monitor what I’m playing. I want to be able to hear my piano vst at all times, but there are only a few songs I want to engage the metronome. For those few songs, I want the metronome to start immediately when I load the song, but again, be only audible to me. Any thoughts about how I might accomplish this?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

I use a four channel interface - a Scarlett 2i4

One stero pairs go to FOH (which I have since learnt gets mixed to mono by a decent sound man in a large venue!), and I use the other two channels for click duties. I don’t use the built in metronome but you should be able to route it in the same way I use a click.

So have an output for FOH which is piano only. Have another output for you which is Piano and metronome.

Sorry, embarrassed to say I really don’t understand how to go about what you’re suggesting. Could you give me more step by step guidance?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Lee,

What soundcard or interface do you have?

Dave

I’m using Voicemeeter asio for live broadcasting. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 otherwise. I don’t use it for livestreaming because my streaming app (OBS Studio) cannot tap into the Focusrite if it’s already being used by Cantabile

Hi,

Here is the audio port config for my PC. Main output stero pair to FOH is on ASIO 1 and 2 (named ports on my EMU1212 sound card in my DAW PC. They are mapped to equivalent outputs on my gig PC).

The Clicks that we use in ear are on ASIO 3 and 4 (I have different tracks for different player combinations as labelled). For this exercise we will have the metronome going to ASIO 3, same as the click for Guitar/Keys which goes to my IEM. So also note that the Metronome port is going to ASIO 3 as well.

Below I have a simple song with one plug in loaded (Omnisphere). Note that the plug in has two outputs. One going to main output which goes to my FOH pair on ASIO 1 and 2, and it is also going to the metronome audio port (ASIO 3).

So with this config you have the plug in going to the FOH outputs and the metronome is not on that. But on the Cantabile metronome output (ASIO 3) you will also hear the plugin.

That’s it at a very crude basic level. Jedi Masters like Dave will probably show you something even more amazing! :slight_smile:

:smile: Not likely Derek, I would have done the same thing as you have but I think for Voicemeeter setups I will have to defer to @terrybritton. Hopefully he can help Lee out …

Cheers and stay well,

Dave

1 Like

how about it @Terrybritton, what do you think?

Sorry, this is perhaps not possible with your setup. If using Windows Audio System (Voicemeeter in regular, non-slaved to your ASIO interface mode) and outputting Cantabile into Voicemeeter, then you are restricted to only one stereo output. That is, however, unless you aren’t!

Voicemeeter does have the capability of receiving eight mono inputs (four stereo ones) in its VAIO virtual inputs. The question is how to use Cantabile to send to other than the channel 1&2 stereo outputs into Voicemeeter. Then you could use cleverness in the output sliders at the right side giving your headphones a mixdown of all the channels, while only sending normal stereo out to OBS. (Using the buttons above each slider - each press of the button takes you through a series of possible mixdown scenarios.) I’m not able to try it right now, but the only issue is how to get a Cantabile metronome output to go to Voicemeeter’s VAIO channels 3&4.

I don’t think that is much help, but that’s all I can come up with right now. I’ll look into it some more over the next few days.

Terry

Here is that conversation we had that inspired a video a long while ago - perhaps some of that in review will help also.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I think you’ve stated the issue well. If you come up with anything further, please let me know.

Lee