C3 Community State-Driven Preset-Racks Exchange

BTW - if you want to customize the settings for some of the presets and save them for a song, you can simply copy the plugin from the rack and paste it into your song (right-click “add object” and click “paste”), then it will be a new copy with your changes saved within the song and all the pseudo-presets will be retained after pasting.

Or you can alternatively copy and paste the plugin into a new rack or use “Save Rack As” calling that “customized presets” or something.

Terry

1 Like

Thanx Terry…you’re killing it today !! :smile:

1 Like

Awesome work!! Thanks.

1 Like

Or you can set the state behavior to “save with the song” so the state of the plugin won’t be touched.

1 Like

Surreal Machines’ Diffuse Quasi-Reverb Plugin - all 95 Presets as States
(including the ones placed into the “User Presets” section)

Diffuse.cantabileRack (262.9 KB)

Enjoy!

Terry

1 Like

Akai MPK249 & MPK261 – MPK225 with pruning

Here is every knob, slider and pushbutton (all three banks) mapped to Rack MIDI Outputs.

Now ALL THREE banks of knobs, buttons and sliders are included, plus the transport (as MIDI CC), pitch wheel, mod wheel, aftertouch, program change and notes on/off.

(No pads - that is handled in a separate rack I’ll upload later on. Also note: No pedals (place those in their own rack with the others in your rig as a best practice for ease of reassignment.)

You can make changes the embedded rack (which contains the bindings) to use in other variations of the rack by making changes to a copy (remember that if you change a name of a MIDI Output Port in the main rack you’ll need to change it also in the Bindings for the embedded rack). To fully understand what is happening here, see the article cited below.

This rack uses the Akai Factory Preset #24: MIDI Out as the preset for its controller numbers.

Bindings to the Play, Stop and Auto-Record-Toggle buttons on the MPK exist - set Transport to MIDI CC in the Edit menu. Mod wheel, pitch bend and aftertouch are also mapped to Rack Midi Outputs via the bindings.

Torsten recommends separating pedals (sustain, expression, etc.) into their own rack, and I agree, so no pedals were included. Easy to add them if you want, or make a new customized Pedals and Expression-Pedals rack! :slight_smile:

You will likely want to edit this to customize it to your own requirements. Send the rack’s “MIDI Out” to some synth and use that synth’s “MIDI Learn”. You can alter the embedded master to send to multiple locations and channels. You can send any of 16 channels from the embedded bindings out the parent rack’s “MIDI Out” and all signals will arrive properly via the racks Rack Midi Out port(s).

You can have many of these parent/child racks as copies with different settings set up to switch to the desired rack via states, or use states to change these settings internally.

Generic Embedded MKP249 Controllers.cantabileRack (249.4 KB)

See this post and its associated thread for more information on the use of this pair of racks (your parent and the above master rack). This is the zip containing the examples from that article.

My MIDI Controller and Very Much Etc.zip 4 (3.4 KB)

Enjoy!

Terry

3 Likes

Great contributions of late Terry! Thanks for pitching in. I don’t have an MPK but appreciate your efforts for us all very much. I’ll check your rack innards out anyway cause I’m a nerd :slight_smile:

Dave

1 Like

I can’t wait to try this!! Thanks @terrybritton

1 Like

Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 Epic Orchestra Instruments Racks
(including all key switches as separate entities)

Synchron Instruments.vep64
I have created a single instance for VEP that includes all of the instruments - including keyswitches mapped to their own MIDI port - into racks in Cantabile. In most cases, the audio is bussed to an XXX_Shorts or XXX_Long bus, rather than having a separate input for every single instrument, which simplifies matters greatly. It uses 14 ports of 16 MIDI channels each to accomplish this. You don’t have to worry about that, as it is all handled in the racks, but studying what I did in VEP may prove entertaining (and perhaps educational). :slight_smile:

The Cantabile racks use the VEP Events plugin to access the different ports, and has custom named MIDI rack inputs to receive the MIDI in.

The racks all use an embedded rack containing the VEP Synchron Instruments plugin, which are then connected to via the Events plugins in the attending rack. You may need to reconnect these plugin instances to their instruments in VEP to use this (I have it set that if you are hosting locally it should just work.)

All the instruments in each set are available via states.

There is a required Synchron Orchestra Output Rack that collects all the audio data and sends it to your output device via the Rack Stereo Out and an additional Rack Stereo Out No Reverb output.

I’ve included a demo song file that might work after a little tweaking.

Everything is in the Zip file, including a copy of my Processing Rack.

If you need help using these, let me know!

Terry

VEP Epic Orchestra Instruments.cantabileSong (29.6 KB)

2 Likes

I don’t own the library, but that is very cool Terry. :+1:

@Corky - it is a huge 70-gig library that they give you free (along with the free Big Bang tutti orchestra) when you buy VEP 7.

BTW - I went with making the rack access individual instruments instead of just sending you to the keyswitches because I have a multi-keyboard setup, and the whole POINT of multi-keyboard is to have the other hand playing a different instrument - not fiddling with key switches! :wink:

It is amazing how lightweight this is CPU wise - even hosting this on the same computer as Cantabile having only 16-gigs of RAM - and it leaves plenty of room for other VST instruments. Of course, it is ideal for a multi-computer setup (the whole purpose of the Vienna Ensemble Pro Server anyway!), and then it just streams out the MIDI to that computer from Cantabile and streams in the audio over the network.

Terry

Agreed!! Nice approach.

E-Mu PRO/CUSSION rack with program names.

This is just the input rack with states for the programs named for easy selection. Some of the ones after number 80 were user-created ones made by the former owner of my device (not all of those even work) - consider them available user banks.

Terry

ProCussion.cantabileRack (279.3 KB)

1 Like

Very nice Terry. I’ve always been an E-MU fan. I bought an E-MU Proteus keyboard in 1992. It had the Orchestral extension built in, which was wonderful! I still have all the E-MU samples, and used them up until about 4 years ago. The PRO/CUSSION was an amazing module in it’s day.

Sure is nice!
Here is the original list of sounds and the sysex for the factory sound banks:
https://www.emumania.net/emu-procussion-sound-module/

Terry

1 Like

Was fun listening to the factory demos - definitely heard some of those in recordings over the years.

2 Likes

MANUAL BACKGROUND CHORD PROGRESSION WITH 1 FOOTSWITCH (I used Line 6 FBV Express Pedal for testing)

I was looking for a way to play backing chords in real time, while I play keys or guitar. I started this with a free vst called Chordz. It is great for playing full chords with 1 key press, and used it in my 3-piece band for quite awhile. I was thinking about using a footswitch to perform the chord switching, and I imagined C3 had all I needed to achieve this. I ran into binding problems, so I contacted Dave Dore, and as usual, he was up for the challenge. The following is what we came up with.

This is the “changer” rack. It has all the bindings you need to run the chord progression, which is states in the rack(on the left side). I listed the chords I wanted in the progression. The default is “off”. When you activate the switch, the 1st chord plays (and holds) until the switch is hit again…which immediately starts the next chord. It progresses til the end, which resets the loop to “off”. Then start over.

Chordz%204
Chordz 4.JPG1331×507 75.4 KB

!

The 1st chord is Gm-7 (add 9) or a Bb maj13, whatever rocks your boat. The large keys in Chordz are switches only. As you see, I selected the “G switch” to play the chord I made on the smaller keyboard.

Chordz%202
Chordz 2.JPG1375×634 110 KB

The 2nd chord is made the same way. Notice the binding on the right is triggering the “A5” note in Chordz, which plays the Am chord.

Chordz%203
Chordz 3.JPG1356×628 108 KB

Here is the song setup. Use the same switch (switch A on FBV). The routing is FBV>Chordz Changer Rack>Chordz>VSTi. I used a string patch in Triton for the backing chords. Use whatever vst you want.

Chordz%201
Chordz 1.JPG1163×560 69.8 KB

Here is an audio of me switching the chord progression with the A switch on FBV.

Chordz free VST

Rack:
Chordz Changer Sequential 1 SWT.cantabileRack (66.8 KB)

Song for testing:

Chordz test.cantabileSong (13.5 KB)

Many thanks to Dave Dore for the tons of bindings!! :grin:

Corky

P.S. Many more ideas for this are in the works.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this contribution Corky, You’re Welcome for all the bindings :grin:, it was yet another opportunity to see if Cantabile could do what you had conceived and make it work smooth and the audio you posted sounds just great, like a keyboardist playing chords. I’m glad I got in on it and that it’s a happening thing! I look forward to your other creations …

Dave

2 Likes

Couldn’t have done it without you, cause I was definitely stuck.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I will try to understand what is going on and get this working with the PizMIDI midiChords plug-in, since I found that to be a much better chord player for my needs. I’ve used this plug-in to get me out of trouble many times!

2 Likes