Build 3553 drops Engine Restart Quick binding

Hey All,

Due to some unresolvable issues with the Engine -> Restart Engine (Quick) binding I’ve dropped it from build 3553. It’ll now appear as Restart Engine (Obsolete) but instead of doing a quick restart will do a full restart.

Also the binding Engine -> Restart Engine (Full) has been renamed to just Engine -> Restart Engine.

Brad

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, could you explain what the problem was?

Hi!
May be crashes with asio4all. At least for me :slightly_smiling_face:
@Brad I’ve just installed this version, made some tests - seems to be ok (previous versions 3544-3552 crashed randomly)
Just remembered - I use Restart Engine (Quick) on song loading in Background rack

kind regards, Alexander

Hi there,

I think I‘m able to clearify the reason behind: some time ago brad was so kind to implement engine restart as I tend to use heavy load plugs (Diva, Serum,…) and observed that cpu load decreased dramatically in some cases if I restarted audio engine after song load.

A few days ago I had some strange effects concerning audio routings to physical outs. In my case the routings seemed to be bound to the song instead of beeing bound to cantabile (for details read this:

After some investigations brad found this was initiated by the quick audio restart binding which obviously introduced a serious bug. Bad news was this could not be fixed easily. As this bug is also suspicious of producing crashes inside C3 brad decided to drop the binding and substitute it by thee full restart engine binding which seems to be save and additionally clearly fixes the mentioned routing problem.

The main disadvantage of the full binding is it introduces an additional delay when switching songs.

Hope this explains the decision.

Regards, humphrey

3 Likes

Thanks for your explanation @humphrey, that sounds a lot like the problem I had been having since I started using the quick audio restart binding a short while ago. I just didn’t make the connection until now.

Sorry if I ask @hermanoantequera but was your problem concerned to wrong routes or to crashes?

Actually, both: for songs that had the binding, Cantabile crashed with an error message saying an error occurred during a re-routing operation.

[edit]
The error only occurred after I had made a change in a linked rack within the two songs that had the binding, so initially I thought it might something to do with the rack. However, I have installed the latest build, and the problem now seems to have disappeared.

1 Like

Hm, interesting to see there were more strange effects going on. I also notice you were able to lokalize the crashes to songs you had the bindings in use. It not even came to my mind that the binding could be the reson for the crashes…

1 Like