"Auto Update States" vs "Locked States"

Hey All,

I’m doing a bit of design work around states and wondering about the following…

What if instead of each song/rack having the “Automatically Update States” option, each state had a locked option? This would let you permanently lock some states (unless you explicitly Update them) while still working on and auto-updating others. It would also prevent accidentally trashing a correctly configured state by accidentally leaving Auto Update States on.

I’m envisaging a little lock icon in the states panel showing which states are locked.

Thoughts?

Brad

A very good idea. I’d want to be able to lock songs as well.

I almost always turn off the automatically update states option. I’ve messed things up too many times.

• Paul

Would be very useful for me also. Thanks Brad.

Sounds potentially useful, particularly for rack states that you re-use in different songs. When creating a new rack state I often start with an existing one, modify it, and save it to a new state, so the padlock would give a bit of extra security against affecting the original.

I think it would also then be useful to have commands to set all states in a song/rack as locked/unlocked.

But so useful when you know you’re in editing mode. It comes with risks, and we’ve all been there.
A lock would be a great comfort.
As long as we have a hotkey to turn the lock on/off.

I’ve just finished implementing this. I think I like it - feels more controlled.

A couple of notes:

1. Locking linked clones locks all the clones.
  2. You can manually Update State without unlocking if you like.
  3. If you switch to an unlocked state, make a change and then lock it, the change won’t be included in the locked state. Seems counter-intuitive, still considering…
  4. If you load an unlocked state, makes some changes and then insert a new state - the originally loaded state won’t get the changes - only the new state will capture the changes (this is as per before)
  5. I’m probably not going to create a default short cut key to lock/unlock but you’ll be able to set one up yourself if you like (Options | Hot Keys)
  6. You can multiple select or Ctrl+A select all to lock/unlock multiple states.
  7. If you load an old file with auto update states turned off, all states will be initialized to locked.

Maybe 3 needs a “changes made, save?” kind of prompt?

Maybe though not keen on a prompt. I think I’ll just make it update the state at the time it’s locked.

I’m going to try out the latest experimental build again. These features would be really helpful.

In my case I’d suggest the “Locked” function automatically active for new States or let the user decide what’s the default lock-state.

Interesting idea. Logged it for consideration. Perhaps instead of an option it could just lock new states if the current state you’re saving from is locked.