Any prog keyboard players care to share?

Looking at what his equipment list seemed to be around that time it must indeed have been the Solina!

I use Stringer for the intro pad (mixed with a bit of this and that from M1 and Wavestation). My absolute favorite Solina (and more) VST! Just needs to be jBridged, since thereā€™s no 64 bit version available.

Add a bit of OP-X and it sounds pretty convincing - see their demo.

Cheers,

Torsten

Stringer is nice! ā€¦

Here you go:
From Rick Humphries who engineered ā€œShine Onā€:

On the finished record, Part I commences with the looped sound of wet fingers rubbing wine glass rims, originally recorded for an album titled Household Objects. Rick Wright then builds on this with a Hammond organ as well as the synth sounds of an EMS VCS3, ARP Solina and Minimoog before Dave Gilmour plays an extended G-minor blues solo on his Fender Strat.

Gilmour still occasionally uses wine glasses on stage for the ā€œpadā€ intro.

1 Like

It reminds me of a Mu-Tron BiPhase I used to have, which was pretty similar to the ensemble phase-shifters in a lot of string machines. Wonder if that was the secret sauce.

I believe it was the secret sauce. I am going to get this and experiment with it:
http://www.atomhub.net/Wine_Glass.html

Cause I drinks my wine from the bottle. Ripple 2017, brown bag label.

The wine glasses you mean- yeah thatā€™s a cool layer. Itā€™s not the shimmer though.

It might shimmer when you add the other 4 instruments Rick Wright used.

I have tried this setup with guitarā€¦is very cool. Not the shimmer, but good for one person. It is called the sound on sound effect:

Hereā€™s another Shine On cover (very freely interpreted :slight_smile: ) live from a pub gig - pardon the sloppy playing; was the first time we ever played this live; our guitarist was super-nervous, since his buddy had bet that he would mess up completelyā€¦

hmmmā€¦ sharing via Dropbox doesnā€™t seem to work - putting it on my website for the momentā€¦

Here is the corresponding Cantabile song - one of my more complex onesā€¦:

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Still need to dig my shine on intro out, but here are a few ā€œaudience snippetsā€ from Pure Floyd and Welsh Floyd

First one is quite funny due to all the Welsh Pub audience banter and the camera man, but hopefully you can hear the music. This was a warm up gig circa 2009, in very cramped conditions that we did in a local valleys pub. And spot the deliberate mistake at the end of Hey You when somebody forgot to stop the vocal echo!

This was pre-Cantabile days. Organ sounds were NI B4II. Synth lead and bass synth are my beloved Nord G2 Engine (Neil will know!), pads would have been Motif Rack ES, and samples (like the Hey You piano ping) in an old Yamaha A4000! Oh, the ā€œwormsā€ sound in Hey You was the Nord G2 again.

And here is a bit of Shine On from the build up - not sure why they missed the intro! This would be mainly Korg Kronos (intro pad, organ and synth lead), with a bit of Arturia Solina on the Cantabile backing track, and as the sax player couldnā€™t make it for that gig, we have him on the backing track as an option (Cantabile song states)

Another thing out of interest, whilst the high up lights were the venue lights, the ones lower down are my DMX lights all synced to the backing track and controlled via DMXIS inside Cantabile.

Other vids from my time in the bands seem to have been deleted from Youtube which is a bit annoyingā€¦

2 Likes

@Torsten

Which ā€œStringerā€ vst do you use? I have one by FalkeLab but I see there is also one by Sonicprojects. Or are they the same thing? Iā€™ve had mine for a while, so maybe another company took it over.

edit: I just noticed an earlier post with a link. I am still wondering if I have the same thingā€¦

He was talking about the SonicProjects. He gave a link to it:

The FalkeLab may be an early version, but if you listen to the sample audio on both, there is no comparison. SonicProjects hands down.