Would disabling Audio Input improve latency?

In my live configuration, the Audio Input from my Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen) is currently active. However I don’t have any need of that input as I’m exclusively running plugins live.

Would it help latency to disable that input in my configuration?

Onstage I never have anything physically connected to the inputs.

Thanks guys.

Good question, as I also have a 2i4 and never use the inputs live. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it will help (unless there’s something particular in the hardware or driver - but I doubt it)

The audio drivers generally run in input and output buffers in parallel so the fact that the input buffers aren’t there doesn’t really speed things up.

Brad

The MOTU PCI-424, that old workhouse which could allow a variety of MOTU hardware to be run off its 4 ports, could run a large amount of i/o - up to 96 channels. That’s a lot for a device which is now about 12 years old.
In the docs supplied with that unit, the user was advised to disable unused channels to free up CPU, as each stereo pair would increase CPU demand. As CPU demand is directly related to how fast one can set the ASIO buffer, there may be some benefit to keeping unused audio routes out of a song.
Best way to find out is to check it and see.
Run a low latency song with a midi file, to ensure consistent demand. Run that midi file into your plugins to the point that the system fails with audio channels enabled and disabled.
Proof of the pudding…

1 Like

That’s a good point - I wasn’t thinking about it in those terms. Yes - if you can reduce the buffer size that would reduce the latency of course.

1 Like