Which Hard Drive?

I have been using C2 for quite awhile and love it. I am going to purchase C3 in the next couple days. C2 was great with the stock hard drive. My current HD has become too noisy to have on stage. I would love to replace with an SSD, but price is a bit steep. Can anyone steer me on whether I should replace the the drive w a 7200rpm drive or a 7200 hybrid drive?

SSD prices have come down a lot. What is your budget and how much storage space do you need?

I need 1tb. I like that for less than $100 USD I can get a 7200rpm drive. I’m not looking for the stars. Just an improvement from current drive. With bindings and such, I’m not worried the speed of an SSD. If I had the $$ for the 1tb SSD…I would already have it. :grinning:

Having an SSD saved my a$$ onstage recently. I had done the dumbest thing ever- forgot to plug my laptop in. And it was one of the few times I hadn’t setup my backup machine. My battery died about 12 minutes into the show. I realized what had happened, plugged in and rebooted in about 2 1/2 minutes. That load on the other laptop with a standard drive takes about 11 minutes. Just food for thought :wink: If you’re not going to be in mission critical situations like that a 7200 should be a good upgrade. I really don’t know about the hybrid; I assume it’s better though.

I replaced my old hard drive with an SSD a couple of years ago. Definitely more expensive, but the increase in overall performance including load times for Cantabile plugins was remarkable.

It seems to me that that speed / performance improvement would work wonders on those instruments with huge sample files and load times in cantabile. In which case one ought to use SSDs period.
???

I do small business IT consulting. Recently a Dell laptop came with a 2TB hybrid. It seemed pretty quick during deployment so we left it in place. Months later I used the laptop to do SQL Server report work and found it no faster than a 7200rpm drive. We swapped it out for a 1TB Samsung Evo 860 and there was a big difference. In short, forget the hybrid drive.

I recommend you get the 1TB SSD - the EVO 860 was $280 which I think isn’t horribly expensive.