What's your preferred method for changing states?

Not with underage women or contraband, presumably.

Nah…just old hags, discount beer, and empty wallet. :yum:

BTW Fred…saw an interview you did a few years back on YouTube.

Oh no, how ridiculous was it :smiley:

Wasn’t ridiculous at all. Was watching some Glass Hammer video, and it cropped up with everything else. I know how you feel. There is some video, hopefully destroyed by now, of me playing drums with George Jones and Conway Twitty. My lack of enthusiasm was showing. I found some other videos of me on YouTube around 1998, and cringed, just knowing that someone actually saved, and posted it. Curse you damned video cameras! :rage:

With that said…apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread. Adrian made me do it. :roll_eyes:

Corky, you didn’t happen to play drums with Conway Twitty in Las Vegas around 1991, if memory serves? George Jones was on the same bill as was Vince Gill.

@RedSurfer

No, just locally gigging in 91. The time I was referring to would be mid to late 1970’s. The years of Disco and (ugh) Leisure Suits.

There might be some recordings online that I did with a songwriter mumbles years ago. Whenever I hear the originals I’m reminded how humbling the studio is . . .

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Corky. I was always intrigued by Conway’s set. I sensed tension between the drummer and Conway throughout their entire set. I was curious as to what was going on between them. Or was imagining the whole thing!
Regardless, it was a great evening; George Jones was in fine form and Vince Gill was stellar.

1 Like

@RedSurfer

Just a little more on the subject and I will leave this alone. Twitty was not very hard to work for, but he expected perfect timing , and perfect, non-busy fills, much like anyone of his status at the time. He very well could have been using a new drummer who wasn’t up to the task. Even though many of the country stars had touring bands, it was not unusual for them to pull a “Chuck Berry”, and have contracted musicians in some areas that only played a few shows in that certain area of the country. It saved them a lot of money not to transport, feed, and bed a touring band. It was also a risk, because they had no idea how the contracted bands sounded, and could possibly ruin a show. I played for several others as a regional musician, and had no problems until the “star” was a no show, with an auditorium filled with anxious ticket holders, and a band who got stiffed on the gig. You can probably figure out who that was.

Again, apologies to OP.

Cheers

Corky

I’m starting to look at the possibilities of using a small 2 or 3 button USB pedal. Does anyone have any experience with those and Cantabile? I know they usually emulate a 2nd mouse, I’m worried about adding more driver issues in Windows though, also are there problems getting Cantabile to recognize them at all… I just wonder if it’s opening up a software related can of worms.

Edit- just looked back to Neil’s 2nd post in the topic and the Audiofront MIDI Expression Quatro sounds like the perfect answer to everything… Although frankly I could probably just drag along a little controller like this ( https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-32-Key-Midi-Controller-AKM320/dp/B00VHKMK64/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1571607600&refinements=p_36%3A1253546011&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-1)
for cheap cheap and give myself a 2nd pedal input, some keys to assign and even left-hand controllers…

I can advice you the Line 6.
Compact, not expensive, usb powered, …
To be honest, i thought i would use the pedals for song switching, but because i stand up, I’m out of balance so switching isn’t good timed. And it’s a matter of milliseconds on certain songs :smiling_face:

I’m trying out using the BassPod Pro XT. I like having an expression pedal, but I can do that through the keyboard. The Pod has too many switches too close together. I really just need one, by itself. that can’t be missed and a sustain. Everything else I can do with my hands.

I have the Audiofront Midi expression also, but the single input version. It has been amazing.

• Paul
2 Likes

I have the 4-input version. Works great

2 Likes

Hm, 139$ for just that interface?
https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

Hey Fred,

I use some of these (relatively cheap) USB pedals for LivePrompter - the ones I use act as a USB keyboard, with programmable keys. Not a big driver issue - they just register with Windows as an additional keyboard with no problems. The only caveat with those is that Cantabile needs to have the focus to receive keyboard input - as long as that is assured, all is fine.

Recently, I’ve tended to build these USB switching thingys myself - I use a cheap teensy, which can act alternatively as a keyboard or MIDI device. The necessary Arduino code is pretty trivial, so I can create all kinds of MIDI or keyboard switches or pedals that connect via USB. Creating a USB MIDI expression pedal or a 3-pedal switch is pretty easy and cheap…

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

Absolutely. Putting some time into that kind of things makes sense. I also do build all that stuff by myself and especially arduino is an easy to use platform with tons of examples out there.

1 Like

Same here! I love it. Slightly pricey, but I didn’t see anything else better at the time it was released. (I had the 1-input version, then they released the 4-input version – then called Quattro.)

I route 3 expression pedals through it, and use bindings on each song to control different parameters – often volume, but not always.

Thank you for this post. It’s been a life saver

Rob at AudioFront is an amazing developer. I’ve now got two eDRUMin units connected to an acoustic 5 piece kit that has DIY Roland style center mounted piezo triggers. The hi-hat pedal input is basically a MIDI Expression input and works amazingly well with a DIY Hall Effect (magnet mounted on the bottom of the rod comes near a sensor) to emulate tightly closed to fully open. He solves just about every issue people bring up. Reminds me of Brad.