What are your favo plugins you are using?

Another one which is pretty good (was on special offer) is Eventide SP2016 Reverb.

Nice and simple, not too many parameters, and sounds glorious.

Their Blackhole reverb is pretty good as well…

I really like Eventide’s effects, especially Blackhole.

I still use a lot XPand. And you also can get the whole AIR Instrument-Bundle for a few bucks:
buy Xpand:
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/1560-Xpand-2
And after buying it get the upgrade:
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/2294-AIR-Instrument-Expansion-Pack-3-COMPLETE-UPGRADE-

70€ in total!!

If you buy the Air instrument expansion pack 3 standalone, its more than 400€!!

1 Like

Xpand is very complete and low CPU, my daily also

I bought Xpand some time ago but only just started using it. Very useable.

I just bought it - haven’t tried it out yet. My goal was brass and string patches that work for live performance. Do I need the expansion bundle to get the “good ones”? :grinning:

Hi Derek! I love the sound you dialed in with Farfisa V and Echoes T7E! I happen to have both, would you kindly share Echoes patches in fxp format?

1 Like

Hi.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m currently away from home and my kit, but will be back by next weekend when I can share…

1 Like

Hi,

Apologies, I have been swamped in work of late, so little time to turn the gear on. But I did so last night!

I couldn’t save FXP format as Cubase no longer seems to support that. However, assuming Cantabile has got the plugin state captured in the rack (I assume so) here is a Cantabile Rack that wraps up two instances of Farfisa V (upper and lower manual representation of a Compact Duo) going into the Echorec. And with the Farfisa VSTs set up as close as I can get to what I hear on the Gdansk version of Echoes.

Echoes Farfisa.cantabileRack (20.0 KB)

When you watch videos of Rick playing a Farfisa, the chordal work is done on the top manual and the melody on the lower manual, and the Farfisa sounds are setup for that. There are two MIDI Routes into the Rack: Upper and Lower, simply route two keyboards (or do a suitable split of one) to set it up. I currently have the host song setup so that I am playing the chord with my left hand and Melody on the right via a keyboard split (with transpose +3 octaves on the pad, -1 on the melody, and with B below middle C as the split point) - far more natural for me!

Also in the song I put a good dose of reverb on as well.

Chords are Bm (held for a long time at the start) then F#m/A, which he flicks between for a while, and when the guitar starts to comes in it is Bm, F#m/A, Bm/D, Esus4 - I love that chord sequence! Melody is whatever you improvise over it! Rick is famous for never playing anything the same way twice!

As I mentioned above, the melody sound may not be spot on, as the Compact Duo had different tabs for the lower manual that Arturia do not emulate. It would be great if they could bring out a version of the Duo.

Just in case for some reasons the sounds do not migrate with the Cantabile rack state, I have saved off the presets from both Artirua Farfisa and the Echorec. which are in the zip file below. The screen shots of my computer in the zip file show you were to place the preset files and you should then be able to reload them once you are back in the Rack and open the VSTs

Echoes.zip (55.0 KB)

Hope that sates your vintage Farfisa lust! :slight_smile:

I love the Echoerec emulation, and if you turn it off in the rack, you suddenly realise why it was such an important part of the Floyd sound! The organ is lifeless without it. If you watch the Floyd at Pompeii video, you’ll see they all have one. It was interesting to also spot three Leslies in the backline as well. One obviously for Organ, one for the Echoes piano and I assume Gilmour was also using one as well.

1 Like

Oh, and I am also really enjoying UH-E Hive right now. Not as heavy weight in resource demand as the other UH-E synths but it still sounds great. It is focused at EDM music, but capable of more. I have programmed a few patches that I usually use my Yamaha AN1x for into it, as I do not want to gig the AN1x any more, and find that it gets close to the AN1x sound (still one of my favourite hardware VAs along with my Nord G2).

And Luftrum has just come out with a new sound set for it, so worth a listen to Luftrum 20 demos for an idea of what this puppy can do.

2 Likes

Strange as my version of T7E is 1.2…

Here are the presets in FARX format.

Arturia Farfisa Echoes Presets.zip (3.2 KB)

Hi,

I checked my settings and Vibrato is on. The Blue Vibrato switches from left to right are

• Fast/Light/ON for the upper manual
  • Slow/Light/On for the lower manual

You can adjust for taste by experimenting with the Fast/Slow and Light/Heavy options in combination

Tremolo is off, and note that tremolo is not vibrato, tremolo is amplitude modulation.

The thing is those sound clips are using the patches as I provided, with some extra reverb on top. That is all.

Hi, Derek!

You might happen to have Farfisa V patches for Astronomy Domine? I mean Rick’s syncopated rhythm with simultaneous tremolo and repeat on, like in the beginning of Ummagumma live version of Astronomy Domine. I was told Farfisa V can’t quite replicate the effect, yet I’m hopeful it can.

Hi. No I don’t. Best bet is to experiment as there are not that many options. If the emulation is faithful, then it should be possible.