WASAPI or iRig?

I have an IK iRig Pro DUO that can be used with a PC/Laptop (with ASIO4ALL) . Question is would I be better off using WASAPI or would ASIO4ALL with the iRig be okay for low latency audio?

ASIO4ALL is merely WDM/KS (not even WASAPI, from what I’ve been led to understand) masquerading as ASIO to the software.

Windows 10 WASAPI is nearly as good as “real” ASIO at this point, so I’d use that.

Terry

1 Like

I’m in full agreement there Terry.

AFAIK, WASAPI is currently supported only for output in Cantabile.

If you want to use your iRig Pro to process audio inputs (e.g. to play your guitar through a virtual amp), you’ll have to use ASIO.

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Torsten, there is no need for an audio in :slight_smile: only midi so using the laptop audio output should be fine then.

1 Like

One follow up question though - would it be possible to use WASAPI and ASIO4ALL at the same time? Assuming ASIO4ALL is controlling the standard wdm audio.

Well, that MIGHT belong to the Department of Redundancy Department, but then again, maybe not! :slight_smile:

Why do that, though? If you want multiple WDM outputs, I’d use Voicemeeter Pro “Banana” instead so as to have easy fader control over the different outputs. And Voicemeeter can be addressed as either a WASAPI or as an ASIO device by Cantabile (in which case I’d opt for the ASIO connection - Voicemeeter can then output as either WDM, WASAPI or as ASIO).

Terry

Thanks Terry…although with no actual ASIO it might be a bit difficult to choose ASIO haha! I don’t class ASIO4ALL as ASIO :wink:

Thx for the link, that app looks interesting :slight_smile:

Well, that’s the cool thing about Voicemeeter - it appears as an ASIO device to applications, such as DAWs and Cantabile. I really, really need to get off my duff and make a video showing how it works.

Voicemeeter then outputs to any of a variety of output types you select. The A1 (Audition 1) output is mandatory that it be picked first when you start up the program. The drop-down list shows all your MME, WDM/KS and WASAPI devices, and if you DID have a hardware ASIO device hooked up, it would show that as well. And if that was chosen as the A1 device, Voicemeeter would base its buffers on that hardware device’s settings.

So, you can output to a variety of output types - very handy if making videos.

Anyway, don’t get me started - it is a very rich program. Yeah… video needed. :blush:

Terry