VST Plugins 32 or 64 bits

Hi to Community Cantabile,

On the first explanatory video, it is advisable to create 2 folders: one for 32-bit plugins and the other 64-bit plugins; but we do not always find the indication of the bits on all the plugins; so how do we differentiate them all the same?

Thanks !

Most plugins will either come in separate downloadable packages (ie: there will be an explicitly marked x86 vs 64 download), or will prompt during installation where to install each plugin edition, or the plugin will come in two differently named versions, or if nothing else it’s probably x86. Failing all that ask the plugin developer.

1 Like

I have an approach that has been working well for me now, and gets around the bridging mess that can occur if you have a DAW on the same system as Cantabile.
I make 6 VST plugin folders, not counting VST3.

VST Plugins 32 Bit
Hidden VST Plugins 32 Bit
jBridged plugins 32 bit

VST Plugins 64 Bit
Hidden VST Plugins 64 Bit
jBridged plugins 64 bit

The 32 and 64 bit folders host plugins directly, with a view to having them directly available in a host that understands them, without bridging.
The ‘Hidden’ folder is home to plugins which need to be bridged, and avoids double bridging when used with hosts like Cantabile which have integrated jBridge into the app.
The ‘jbridged’ folders host the bridged files that apps with no built in bridging require, and allows jbridge to to create those files using its recommended file structure (i.e AWAY from the original files)

A 64 bit Cubase will NOT be pointed to the Hidden files. It will look only at the 64 bit jbridged files and the regular 64 bit unbridged files.
A 32 bit Cubase will NOT be pointed to the Hidden files. It will look only at the 32 bit jbridged files and the regular 32 bit unbridged files.
A 64 bit Cantabile WILL be pointed to the Hidden files because Cantabile makes its own jbridge files. It will also be pointed to the regular 64 bit files.
A 32 bit Cantabile WILL be pointed to the Hidden files because Cantabile makes its own jbridge files. It will also be pointed to the regular 32 bit files.

It’s a lot easier to maintain this structure than try and work out a mish mash of plugins afterwards,

5 Likes

Well understood
Well understood
but there is also another question:
Should the plugins be separated by folders according to whether they are used by Cantabile or used by a DAW?

Yes, that’s my case, I have several DAWs on my system & Cantabile.

I think there are also VST2

do I have to make VST files for Cantabile & every DAWs?

Thank you

AFAIK VST2 files are the format of regular 32 and 64 bit VST dll’s.
I used Cubase as an illustration of a DAW which requires jBridge, or similar, to run 32 bit dll’s in a 64 bit host.
You have to manually create the jbridge files for such apps.

Reaper incorporates jBridge into its architecture. You would use the ‘hidden’ folder in such a case. The same for Cantabile - you would use the ‘hidden’ folder and let Cantabile/jBridge take care of the bridging.

So - you don’t need to create a VST folders for every app. The folders I recommended should take care of any situation. You just need to know if the app handles jBridge automatically. Hope that’s clear,

1 Like

You do have to point all of your DAWs and other VST consumers to the same folders. @Ade has a pretty complete plan. I’ve switched over to all VST64s. I only have to point everybody to F:\VST64 and they will load the same VSTs. But, in doing that I gave up on a few VSTs (B4, other older ones) and don’t use them any more.