VB3fx problem - no input channels after save - SOLVED


#1

A weird one. I wonder if it’s another manifestation of the issue with VB3.dll and VB3fx.dll plugins both reporting the same plugin ID, @Brad?

I’m trying to use an external plugin instead of VB3’s internal tube overdrive so I have more control over how far I can push the VB3 Leslie.

So I have a VB3 instance, with the overdrive and Leslie switched off, and the stereo output routed to an instance of Amplitube/Guitar Rig/similar, and from there to an instance of VB3fx, which has overdrive switched off but Leslie swtiched on.

That works fine, and if I check the VB3fx audio ports, I see:
VB3fx_bug_1

However, when I save the song, restart Cantabile, and reload the song, VB3fx does not receive or send any audio. The audio ports now look like this:
VB3fx_bug_2

I’m using build 3266, and the VB3 and VB3fx plugins are JBridged 32-bit. I’ve attached the song file.

VB3Amped.cantabileSong (22.4 KB)


#2

VB3x is not a physical hardware output.


#3

To do what you are describing, you would have to have an instance of each plugin loaded, then output of the VB3 would input to Amplitube (or whatever), and the output of the whatever would input to VB3x, and VB3x would output to main outputs( or whatever physical outputs you have). I don’t think you will achieve what you are looking for that way, but give it a shot, just understand that your physical ports are basically hardware, and your plugins are not hardware.

EDIT: After looking at your song information, I see you have the setup as I described. The output of the end of the chain is VB3x, but it is looking for the “Output A”. So change the output a to a working output if “A” is not available.


#4

Thanks, Corky.

I should have explicitly said that the VB3fx audio output is routed to a physical audio output.

There isn’t anything wrong with my Output A port - it’s available and working, as I can tell if I re-route audio output from VB3 (first plugin in the chain) direct to Output A. In any case, all works as I want before I save and re-load the song.

In the Organ Plugins thread several people have used the VB3fx Leslie as a Leslie effect for other organ plugins. But I don’t think any have used VB3 as the “source” organ plugin. So I suspect my problem may be to do with an issue I know @Brad has had to workaround before, which is that both VB3 and VB3fx report the same plugin id… or may be another VB3 “quirk”.


#5

Hi @DannyM

I just tried this here and it seemed to work fine. One instance of VB3, one of VB3fx (both via jBridge), save the song, reload and the correct plugins loaded and audio ports all good.

My suspicion here is the wrong plugin (VB3 vs VB3fx) is getting loaded for the instance with the broken audio ports. You could check this in the log (Tools -> Open Settings Folder -> log.txt) and search for .dll.

Also are you sure you’ve got the latest VB3 and that you’ve done a full plugin scan recently?

Brad


#6

Thanks, @Brad

You were exactly right - when reloading the song, C3 was loading another instance of VB3 rather than VB3fx.

The plugins were up to date, and I’d done a full plugin scan, but I tried a belt-and-braces approach:

  • Deleted the .dll and .jBridge files for both plugins from my Vstplugins folder
  • Did full plugin scan
  • Recopied the .dll files for both plugins to my Vstplugins folder
  • Did full plugin scan
  • Recreated the song from scratch

…and now all works after saving and reloading the song.

Many thanks


#7

OK. Yeah sounds like something got messed up in your configuration somewhere. Would be interesting to see you plugins.json from before if you still have it.

Actually… I just found a plugins.json you sent me last month. It shows the following which is very weird. Normally Cantabile will ignore jBridge’s proxy plugins so not sure why it’s picked up these but they both have plugin id “00000000”. That could explain it…

{
	"name": "VB3.64",
	"path": "C:\\Program Files\\Vstplugins\\_JBridged\\VB3.64.dll",
	"vendor": "",
	"product": "",
	"inputChannelCount": 0,
	"outputChannelCount": 0,
	"technology": "VST2",
	"platform": "x64",
	"sendsMidi": false,
	"wantsMidi": false,
	"supportsDoublePrecision": false,
	"caps": "VST2, 0\/0, 32-bit audio only, x64",
	"id": "00000000",
	"category": "NotAPlugin",
	"modifiedTime": 1334111238000
},

{
	"name": "VB3fx.64",
	"path": "C:\\Program Files\\Vstplugins\\_JBridged\\VB3fx.64.dll",
	"vendor": "",
	"product": "",
	"inputChannelCount": 0,
	"outputChannelCount": 0,
	"technology": "VST2",
	"platform": "x64",
	"sendsMidi": false,
	"wantsMidi": false,
	"supportsDoublePrecision": false,
	"caps": "VST2, 0\/0, 32-bit audio only, x64",
	"id": "00000000",
	"category": "NotAPlugin",
	"modifiedTime": 1334111238000
},

Odd VB3fx behaviour