Values greater than 1 for note and controller bindings

In the value mapping section of a MIDI controller binder assignment the target variable range defaults to:
min: 0.000
max:1.000

The range is not great enough for a looper plugin I’m using. A samples pitch and corresponding length is controlled by entering a numerical value into a textbox (its not that sophisticated I admit) if a value of 4 is the original sample pitch and length, 2 is twice pitch and length, 8 is double and so on. The problem is when I bind a controller to this control, it only goes from 1 to 10. To be truly useful and to allow on the fly tuning of samples it needs to extend far higher. (I’ve put in values up to 1000 for really deep sounds)

Same problem if I bind to keys. I cant go any higher than 1 which corresponds to 10.

Is there any way around this? The plugin is pretty basic so I can’t reconfigure it from that end.

TBH, looks like the plugin’s VST automation implementation is a bit sloppy - fundamentally, automation values in VST are always transmitted as floating-point numbers from 0 to 1 - there is no higher value than 1. It is then up to the plugin to translate these 0…1 values to something meaningful for them.

So if your plugin translates a VST value of 1 to its internal value of 10, then that’s that - you’ll need to ask the plugin programmer if they can do something about the VST automation, so values > 10 can be achieved.

Cheers,

Torsten

Thanks. TBH I think you’re right.

Could you tell us what software looper you are using?? …
… and what your experience has been with that plugin??

It’s called Loophole. https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2138/
a fairly limited sample player that’s simple to use and seems do a basic job reasonably well. It’s just one of several free oddball plugins I’ve scoured the internet for over the years and am in the process of assembling into a live kit. Most are predominately sample players that loop, bend, twist, distort or otherwise destroy the original sample in some form. I take a perverse pleasure in finding these old 32bit gems and somehow getting them to coexist in cantabile. They tend to be good at one thing. I’ve yet to find a plugin that I feel does everything. multitrack samples, loops, pitch correction, beat matching, reverses, mangles, distorts, randomises, fx etc. everything that can be easily controlled and switched by a small midi controller such as an MPK mini… For some reason no one seems to be making weird sampling plugins anymore so Its a case of creating a VST frankensteins monster.

1 Like