Using the Behringer FCB1010 to change songs, states and play Media Player

I just picked up the Behringer FCB1010 to replace a few pedals. I currently use a Background Rack with bindings to switch songs and states using a couple keys on my keyboard. Happy to get those keys back and have it all controlled by the FCB1010. Does anyone know the preferred method to:
setup bindings to change songs, states and play the Media Player?

I’d like to remove the Keyboard bindings and just bind to the FCB1010. Is that possible?

Thanks for the insight!

1 Like

I use the FCB1010 for that very reason, and love pressing a button to move to the next state. I abuse Cantabile in that I use “states” as “songs” really, because I only use five to seven setups per daily show.

I have it in my background rack with a program change from the pedal advancing to the next state being the most used button (Button 3).

Here is a screenshot:

Terry

2 Likes

Ahhh excellent. I think I have the Cantabile binding figured out. What do the FCB1010 buttons have to be set to in order to send the correct signal? I think I read that you need to setup “Midi Function” and set each button to send the proper signal. The config on this thing is not so intuitive.

Hi, I used a Roland FC300 in the same situation, so cannot provide FCB specifics, but I have setup a linked rack with bindings set up that listen to the FC300 MIDI port for program changes on Channel 16. The program changes are what I have programmed into the FC300, so the principle should be the same for the FCB.

Each binding will select a specific song in my setlist. All songs have the linked rack in them.

Why a linked rack and not the background rack? I used to use the background rack for this, so you could certainly do the same. However, I now have several set lists for different bands, and I wanted each set list to have its own “background rack” (indeed I even had this as a feature request) so they are self contained. You can achieve this (as I first did, by just pointing to a different rack as the background rack in Cantabile Preferences, but you have to remember to do that! And then it dawned on me that what I wanted as a linked rack - such is the flexibility of Cantabile :slight_smile: So here are at least three different ways to achieve the same thing; there could be more :slight_smile:

Regards
Derej

2 Likes

Getting closer. I’ve programmed the FCB1010 to use a Midi Note. It’s triggering the correct note, but just playing it. The songs and states aren’t moving. I’m wondering if it has to do with the Midi Ports? Is there a specific way to setup your Midi In?

I definitely set mine up to just send program changes - in fact, I don’t think I changed the defaults already assigned to the buttons!

I don’t want any notes coming from the FCB1010 EVER! :slight_smile:

If you can select the FCB1010 from the left side as the source, you likely have it most of the way there. See if it is sending on Channel 1 or not by adding it as an input controller in some song assigned to anything, and then view the MIDI monitor from the view menu with it selected.

Terry

Okay. I put everything back to the starting point. Just want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

1. Created a FCB1010 Midi Import Port - Nothing special here. Assigned it to my ASIO - Focusrite USB.
  2. Added my entries to the Background Rack
    https://www.screencast.com/t/T4PydhDs0

When I hit a button on the FCB1010 it changes the patch on my keyboard. What do I need to do to have it stop controlling keyboard patches and instead make the song/state changes.

Thanks for all your help!

1 Like

Hi Bobby,

You need to go back to the routing tab and place a MIDI Supression filter on the route that is passing the PG changes to your keyboard or vsti plugin.

example: find the route that needs the filter and right click on it and select MIDI Filters

de3

Pick ‘Suppress Events’

select the program change check box to filter the PG changes.

That will do it. Repeat on any routes that need it.

Dave

2 Likes

Hi guys. Its me again!!!
I’ve just invested in a FCB1010 and have created an input port for it on the background rack. But then when i try to set up bindings, using “learn”, nothing happens. I presume that I need to assign MIDI commands/CC numbers etc to the various pedals of the FCB1010, presumably on/off commands (CC 80 - 84)? Would Cantabile then see the signal coming in, or am I missing something?

1 Like

Exactly - you can check what your FCB1010 is currently sending using the MIDI monitor on the respective input port. Usually, these beasts send out program change events by default.

The FCB is a bit fiddly to program, but you’ll get there :wink:

Cheers,

Torsten

@Sausagefingers Don’t miss these two truly fantastic tutorials on using the FCB1010. The first is how to program it via the hardware, and the second is how to use the free editor software (see description section of each video).

Terry

1 Like

Great videos, thank you. I have a simple setup of a Yamaha MX61 and my laptop, with a USB MIDI connection, which works fine. However I am not able to see any activity with the MIDI monitor, and wonder if it is to do with how I am connecting the FCB1010. The FCB1010 only has 5-pin MIDI connectors, so I have connected it to the 5-pin MIDI in of the MX, thinking that the MDI will then pass through to the USB connection through to my laptop. However the MX only offers a choice of MIDI IN/OUT via USB or MIDI, not a combination of the two. Could this be the source of the problem? Should I be using a 5-pin to USB connector and going directly to the laptop?

Looking through the MX61 manual, it doesn’t appear that there is a pass-through function for MIDI out to the USB connection, so you’ll need to add a 5-pin to USB interface.

(For what it’s worth, i use the MIDI In and USB connections on my Motif XF to do exactly what you’re trying to do, but this feature doesn’t seem to be supported on the MX).

– Jimbo

1 Like

I used a super cheap Mio 1-in 1-out MIDI to USB port from iConnectivity before I got the MOTU Midi Xpress XT. Works just fine!

Terry

Right. There has been progress! I bought a MIDI to USB adaptor and a 4-way USB hub, and plugged it in to the laptop, and the USB Driver recognised the MX61 keyboard as usual, but there were no note inputs from the keyboard. Also nothing from the FCB1010. It transpires that it was down to a USB 2-0 and USB 3.0 issue, with the offender being the 4-way hub. As a last resort I tried the hub in the other USB input and off we went.

I now have the FCB1010 controlling states and set list songs really well. However, I haven’t worked out how to get the expression pedals to do volume and expression/mod wheel changes. I also want to have one of the switches as a sustain pedal so that my basic set up is how I want it. I get my top octave back, although as I rarely use that in the type of music I play live, I will probably sacrifice it again, this time to keyswitches, once I learn how to map those! I then want to use different banks to be able to control portamento, reverb amounts, and maybe even sustenuto - why not? The potential of this pedal unit is enormous, although with me being away from music tech during the development of MIDI it seems at times like I am wading through treacle, because there is so much to learn!

1 Like

Hi. I’m back, but drowning under a tide wave of MIDI stuff!

I am s

till having problems with the FCB1010. I have managed to get it to do state changes and set list changes on the pedals, but there is nothing on the expression pedals A and B. I have got the MIDI monitor details saved as a text, but text files cant be uploaded on here! Similarly, I have read the input messages via the FCB manager software, but can’t upload those either. I could simply paste them in here, but that would give you lot of text to digest. I have uploaded the png images of the FCB manager screens to show what I have programmed the pedals with.

What I have tried to do is use pedals 5,4,3 and 2 for next state, previous state, next song and previous song, expression on expression A (the left hand pedal of the two) and volume on expression B.

When I monitored the pedal MIDI activity, I pressed the pedals in the order 5,4,3,2,1,10,9,8,7,6, the expression A and expression B - that may help you make sense of the MIDI messages.

Dave E