Using AT as CC1

Does Cantabile accept MIDI plugins? If so, how do I 'install one or set it up"? If not, what are the chances of adding the ability to Cantabile?

I’m actually trying to do something pretty specific. I’d like to be able to use Channel After Touch (AT) to modulate the Mod Wheel. So, have AT output CC1, Since AT has no CC# some VSTis just don’t implement it. Being a guitar player as well as a keyboard player, AT is a pretty natural extension of my playing. I spend a lot of time I could spend playing trying to figure out how to add AT or even IF it’s possible to add AT to each preset.BUT if I had a way to just set the AT on my keyboard to 'broadcast as CC1, I’d be in great shape & could get in much more playing.

Thanks

Hi Bamim2,

You can use the midi monitor to see what CC# is produced by the keyboard when you press harder on a key and kick it in. To check with the monitor select your keyboard input in a song you have right click and select MIDI Monitor.

SnapShot%20385

Keyboards usually output after-touch data as either CC#2 or CC#4 but whatever your MIDI Monitor told you that CC number is the number you want to map. To do this you place a MIDI mapping filter at the Main Keyboard (or whatever your keyboard is named) in the Tools>Options>MIDI Ports and place one of these filter examples there. The first one maps CC#2 to CC#1(Mod Wheel) and the second one does the same thing but maps CC#4 to the CC#1 (Mod Wheel) as well. As I said above if your Keyboard is sending a different number map it instead. It will make it global for all your songs if you place the filters here.

Hope this helps …:grinning:

Dave

Dave has excellent instructions here, but be advised the “correct” way to implement Channel AT is with a MIDI message (in hex) A0 xx where A indicates MIDI message type AT and 0 = MIDI channel 0 thru F (again hex). The second byte is decimal 0 to 127 indicating how hard you press. Manufacturers may do it differently. But if you use C3 MIDI monitor you will see. You could set up a binding using learn and easily convert AT to whatever you want including cc1. Some of us use Channel AT for Leslie fast/slow for organ and that often requires AT convertion to cc1.

Hi Richard,

Did you mean like this mapping here? It’s the correct choice?

SnapShot%20387

Should have shown it too. I am used to old school common CC transmitted.

Dave

1 Like

I was thinking of what shows up with MIDI monitor, but yes, mapped exactly like that.

1 Like

First I really thank you VERY much for giving me your valuable time.You’re both extremely generous. After reading this over & over, looking closely at the pictures & much fiddling around, I have determined that this is exactly what I’ve been looking to accomplish.

I’m all for simple, but I’m all ‘forer’ :grinning: “correct”. I don’t mind taking a little more time to do things correctly.I also HATE learning something INCORRECTLY & having to UNLEARN it & learn it again correctly. So I REALLY appreciate YOU taking the time to get this straight for ME so I can just learn the results of your work. VERY gracious of you.Thank you.

That said, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen AT implemented as ANY CC# except 0 & that’s quite rare. Mostly AT is AT or ‘channel pressure’ or even just ‘pressure’. In 436 years I’ve been playing I’ve always thought it odd that EVERYBODY else gets a number. Not Aftertouch. It gets a made up word (SB After Touch). At least it gets an abbreviation/acronym.

When I did as RB suggested & Dave so kindly put into pictures (I love pictures…so clear & much harder for me to missunderstand), I saw that there’s a difference when the “copy” check box is well checked. The other way I didn’t see any difference at all, In fact, I wasn’t sure it was working. With the filter setup using Channel Pressure (which still shows Controller 0 grayed out) & the box checked, it’s quite easy to see that it’s working because both “Conttoller 1 - Modulation I (MSB)” AND “Channel Pressure” show up in the event list & on fhe left under ‘Channel’. VERY cool.

So the conclusion is clear. YOU GUYS ROCK!!! Thank you for all of this. I learned a GREAT deal & accomplished something I’ve been trying to accomplish for a long time. I may as well just go back to sleep. I’ve learned 2 days worth of stuff today! Woo Hooo!!

Have a GREAT day. If you’re ever in Florida, let me know. I’ll buy you a beer or an ice tea or something…

3 Likes

Ahhh…I am no longer the oldest ! :rofl:

2 Likes

Hmm…436 years ago is when the Ruckers harpsichord with iron strings was introduced in Flanders. You’ve been through a lot of upgrades to get to the point of sorting out aftertouch :grinning:

2 Likes

Also, Richard Martin of London takes out first life insurance policy, on William Gibbons; premium was £383.
I knew Billy Gibbons was getting on in years, but didn’t realize ZZ Top had been together that long.

AND…I destroyed another thread.

2 Likes

No worries … the helpful parts are still there!! :rofl:

1 Like

And the good humor is always welcome! :smiley:

I doubt my humor would be considered “good”, but glad it is welcome. :rofl:
Love it when others participate.

With a grin on my face

Corky

Back to the first question:

I tried and it works.
You just insert it as you insert any plugin: the difference is that it produces, in output, a MIDI signal, which you can us as input to another (MIDI or Instrument) plugin in your plugin chain