Use one sustain pedal on multiple vst's

Not something I want permanently bit I have one track where this would be useful.
Still new to this and working out lots of things so not tried this yet.

I use one sustain pedal on my controller keyboard.

Has anyone done this and got it working?

Hi 5t4g315gr8,

What version of Cantabile are you running? It affects the available methods you could use. The answer though is yes, you can use the single pedal on more than one thing.

Dave

(Not my idea, but learned from one of the wise members here)

I always send each of my keyboards through a ‘Hub’ rack (actually a ‘Linked Rack’ for re-usability), which has multiple MIDI output ports set to filter thru only notes, controllers, aftertouch, etc… including sustain pedal. Now I can send the sustain pedal information to any device/VST that needs it, not those that don’t, and control whether it is on or off by States.

It’s worth taking the time to build some of these helpful ‘utility’ racks, because it subsequently makes everything you do in Cantabile easier. It is also makes routing visually more obvious.

Hi. I’m using Perfomer

OK, first off you can simply route make a route for your controller keyboard to each of the VSTs you want the 2 VSTs to receive the sustain (CC64) messages.

This works in most cases but sometimes you want to filter out some of the CC messages you don’t want sent. There is a switch in the route control box that is labeled “Notes Only(suppress all other events)”. Check this box if you want to use bindings to attach the CC messages you want to pass.

After you set the switch on the route then you can create individual bindings for each CC message you want to send. Below I made a binding for the sustain on each VST in the song.

The bindings layout is different in the older versions ( I am using 4164 in this example) but the same rules apply. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

I use a Yamaha MX61 keyboard as my controller keyboard and have only ever thought of using the sustain pedal for whatever vsts I am using, at the same time.

Dave Dore: your answer has made me think outside the box in that I can sustain a synth pad while playing a lead line over the top. I have in the past simply played a lead sound over the top with a staccato style, using velocity to make it stand out. In fact I found myself doing just that this afernoon, and now I can audibly visualise (if there is such a thing!) holding the pad sound and playing the lead sound how ever I want. I have now got to study your rack pictures and work out how to get it to suit my setup.

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply. Much food for thought there. Will be giving this a try :+1:

1 Like