Upgraded Win 7 to10 now ver 3 not opening & KERNELBASE error

Cantabile 3 was going fine on Window 7. I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and Cantabile will not open and says The module Kernelbase has caused a non recoverable and forced cantabile to shut down. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ver 3 but still no joy.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for reporting this. I tested on Win 10 last week and it was working fine so I’d need to dig into this to figure out what’s going on.

A couple of quick questions:

• x86 or x64 or both?
  • does it show any ui before it closes?

Brad

Both and no ui. Straight to error message.

Hi Ben,

I’ve just been doing some testing here with Win 10 and have it running without any problems. Mind you, I was running on a fresh install of Win 10, not one upgraded from Win 7.

Not sure if this will help but can you send me a copy of your log.txt, log-previous.txt, and settings.json files which can be found in these folders:

C:\Users\(yourname)\AppData\Local\Topten Software\Cantabile 3.0
C:\Users\(yourname)\AppData\Local\Topten Software\Cantabile 3.0 (x64)

Also, what happens if you run using a new set of config settings.

Finally, a crash dump would be useful. Unfortunately it sounds like it’s crashing before Cantabile has time to install it’s own exception handler so the steps are a little complicated, but if you have time to do this it would be great help:

1. Download the ProcDump tool and extract to a handy location (eg: your downloads folder)

2. Click Windows start button, type “cmd” and right click on “Command Promopt” and choose “Run as Adminstrator”

3. Type cd [path-to-where-procdump-is]. eg:

cd c:\users\brad\downloads\

4. Type the following, agree to the eula and you should see a message about the Just-in-time- debugger installed

procdump -i

5. Start Cantabile and wait for it to crash.

6. Switch back to your command prompt and type the following to uninstall the debugger:

procdump -u

7. In the same folder as where you ran proc dump should be a dump file named something like Cantabile.exe_160120_130714.dmp.

8. Send me a copy and I’ll check it out.

Brad

Also, I’ve been doing a bit of googling about this. I’m getting the feeling this is actually a Microsoft or .NET Framework issue.

Perhaps you can find a clue in there, but no concrete solutions that I can see yet.

Brad

Hi Ben,

I’ve just uploaded build 3116 with one small change which I’m guessing might fix this. Not confident about it but give it a try and let me know.

Brad

It is a mystery Brad. I rolled my install back to Win7 and Cantabile 3 did not open in Win7 with the same error I had in win10. I reinstalled the upgrade back to 10 and then downloaded 3.116 but still the same error. I have another i3 laptop I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 and Cantabile has no issue.

Hi Ben,

OK, I still think this is a problem with the .NET Framework installation. Could I get you to try this for me:

1. Open the Cantabile installation folder C:\Program Files\Topten Software\Cantabile 3.0
  2. Locate the file “CrashReporter.exe”. Double click it
  3. Let me know if you see the Cantabile crash reporter stating “Cantabile has encountered an error but will continue to run”

The crash reporter is also a .NET program so I’m trying to get an idea if all .NET programs fail to run or just Cantabile.

Brad

Hi @ben1962

I finally (!) got to the bottom of this - fixed in build 3128.

Brad

1 Like