Updating the Guides: What Needs Work?

Good idea - noted

A focus on the irrelevant; can you remove the word “Simply” do something?

Apologies

John

3 Likes

:rofl:
As a teacher, I am often guilty of using “simply”…but I mean it as a form of “encouragement”: it is simple…once you have understood how to do it! :innocent:

Gabriel

EDIT: and I would say that “insulting the reader”, as the linked page says, it is stressing it a bit too far…

EDIT2: oops! of course I meant “stretching” (not stressing!) too far.

2 Likes

Thanks @john I agree so I’ll simply de-simplify the docs

5 Likes

I find grammarly great for removing redundant words and cleaning up paragraphs. lets me focus on the content, not the grammar.

1 Like

Quick update:

• Removed “simply” everywhere, but still need to do a full grammar review
  • The section on MIDI filters is now much more comprehensive (and even includes docs for an as yet unreleased MIDI filter)
  • The PDF has been updated, and removed the “3” from the file name.
3 Likes

Looking really nice. With all the changes and updates, I hope you’re not about the sell Cantabile for $27.3Mill AUD and Max Max across the Outback in Christine?

Stop putting ideas in my head. :slight_smile:

A minor detail - the header of the guides still says “User Guides v3.0”. I presume you would want that to read 4.0 ?

Thanks for reporting. Actually, I’ve decided to just remove the version number.

1 Like

What about creating a backup computer guide?

There’s already this - it’s not specifically about a backup machine but shows how to move your setup to a second machine.

Moving Your Cantabile Setup to a New Machine (cantabilesoftware.com)

I thought the PDF was taken directly from the web version.

Another thing missing from the guides is what specific binding “parts” actually do. For example there is the difference between load song by index/vs program. There are many more that may not be obvious to some, especially for newcomers. Perhaps an appendix at the back since there are so many.

So perhaps a terminology page that describes some of these concepts in the context of Cantabile?

It is, but I need to manually run a script on the server to generate it - which I only do from time to time. I’ll try to figure out how to run it automatically so that it’s always up to date.

Thanks for that detail.

1 Like

There are certain things in bindings that are mysterious to new users (even some of us older ones… :slight_smile: )

For example:
Load state by Index vs Program
ReInvoke Load Bindings
Engine:User Trigger

Those are some that come to mind. Not sure if there are any others that are not necessarily self-evident.

Thanks @mavriq,

I’ll look to adding these to the guides, but I’m reluctant to get into documenting every single binding point.

In the meantime:

Load By Index vs Program

Index means load the song/state at position X
Program means load the song/state with assigned program number X

Reinvke Load Bindings

Cause all the OnLoad bindings to re-trigger. eg: if your rack does things on load state and you want to do them again for some reason you can use the Reinvoke Load Bindings binding point to retrigger all those bindings.

User Triggers

This is a carry over from Cantabile 2 where you could invoke a “user trigger” with a specific number. They’re still present and work in Cantabile 4. If you look in the source and target sides of the Engine bindable object, you’ll see ability to fire a user trigger (on the target side) and ability to respond to a user trigger (on the source side).

These days, not sure how useful or required this is, but lets you have one binding fire a user trigger and then a whole bunch of triggers in all your song and rack all respond to that trigger.

1 Like

Thanks that is useful. However, would it be better to just change the name from “Reinvoke Load Bindings” to “ReTrigger OnLoad Bindings”? Pretty clear what the second one does. Don’t know if you need to even say “ReTrigger”. Perhaps just “Trigger” is fine.