[Tutorial] Split Zones: Adaptive, Flexible, Automatic

I just solved a problem that bugged me for a long time. I thought I would share my achievement with the cantabile community. So here’s my first cantabile tutorial video:

For the impatient of you who don’t like watching long videos, here’s a short description.

The Problem

Sometimes when you create split zones it’s just a few notes missing on the upper/lower end of a zone to satisfy your requirement.

Solution 1 - Using Song States to Change Regions

• Create two Song States to modify the zone’s split points
  • Add two more Routes to a dummy MIDI-Out port
    • Use Out-MIDI-Ch 1, 2 to separate them from each other
  • Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 1 (any note event) to switch to State 1
  • Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 2 (any note event) to switch to State 2

Solution 2 - Using Bindings to Suspend Plugins

• Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 1 (any note event) to suspend VST-Instrument 1
  • Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 2 (any note event) to suspend VST-Instrument 2

Solution 3 - Using Bindings to Toggle Routes

• Make sure your regions do not intersect
  • Create two more Routes for the intersecting area
    • One going to VST-Instrument 1
    • One going to VST-Instrument 2
  • Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 1 (any note event) to enable intersecting route 1
  • Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 1 (any note event) to disable intersecting route 2
  • Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 2 (any note event) to disable intersecting route 1
  • Use a Binding from dummy MIDI-Out Ch 2 (any note event) to enable intersecting route 2
9 Likes

Hi DerVodi,

I was trying to figure out a few months ago if there was a way to do this for exactly the same reason. I had some OBxd parts that would have sounded better in an inversion that went into a lower octave occupied by Lounge Lizard. Thanks for sharing your solutions. BTW, really nice job on the presentation, what did you use to make it?

Thank you for the commendation. I added the used gear to the video description.

1 Like

Excellent! You had me glued to the screen! (That is, you got my attention and held it.) Very clearly explained.

Terry

Great video tutorial and extremely useful!