Transposing split keyboard

Hello all,
I have a song were i have bass the left of C4 and Organ to the right of C4. I would like to be able to change the octave on just the organ from a footswitch sending a CC. I would expect to have a footswitch for up and another one for down. I believe my keyboard controller will support this. I have not been able to figure out how to do this in Cantabile 4. Any help will be appreciated. Have a great day and thank you.

Hi bgober,

Which version do you have? Solo, Performer? I need to know if you have states and bindings.

Dave

Hi Dave, yes, Performer 4056. Thank you

Thanks, also what switch action do you want? A switch that toggles 2 values or switch that acts as a momentary and transposes when held down and not when released.

Allright, to set it up you first create the framework with the bass VSTi and the Organ VSTi with routes for each that have the split set and are at the starting transpose points.

Next you Rename the Organ route so it it available as a target for the binding I will show you. Select the route and hit the F2 key to rename, give it a name you can find easily in the binding target list.

The new name should appear as a prefix on the route

Now you can make a binding to switch the transpose for that route. First I will show how to make a toggle between the original value and the transposed one. Note that the target is the renamed route we made.

If you want it to transpose only when pressed set the binding like this.

I hope this helps you get it going. :slight_smile:

Dave

4 Likes

Thank you Dave, that worked. The second binding example is exactly what i was going for. I am curious. On the first binding example how did you get you Value Mapping that way? It seems you are showing just the TVR and not the SCR. I do not see how that is accomplished. Sorry for the additional question. Thank you again for your help. I love this product. I’ve been doing this stuff a long time. As far back as the original MEP4. Truly amazing what you can do with Cantabile.

1 Like

That was a great box for the time.

1 Like

It was both a MIDI utility and a MIDI effect box. It was great. I used it quite a lot, in the 90ies. I also coded a MEP4 editor/librarian for Dr.T’s X-OR…programming the MEP4 using the panel buttons was not so difficult, but I wanted to see all the parameters at once on my Atari screen. :wink:

My old MEP4 is still in my old rack, down in the basement.

Gabriel

1 Like

I had mine in a rack on the floor behind. I spent many hours on my knees programming that thing. Opened up so many possibilities. Having a UI on an Atari? Now that’s awesome.

1 Like

Hi @bgober,

if I understood your question correctly, the reason is that in the first example the event is configured as “No egde button”. It will “react” on any non-zero value of the controller, cycling through the listed Values (12 and 0 in this case).

Gabriel

Edit: see also here

1 Like

Certainly kept the hexadecimal chops sharpened.
We used them at the center of two touring keyboard rigs in the mid 80s. Primarily for splits and program changes, but it was very useful in the studio for pulling off a few tricks.

1 Like

Hi bgober,

I was going to say what @cdv_gabriel said here: Thanks Gabriel :slight_smile:

switching to the edge type controller allows you to use sequences of values that loop to the beginning when at the end. They can be separated by commas or semi colons depending on the region you are set to in options. A normal damper switch pedal has just 0 and 127 so you can use either Controller source option but get different options for the target configuration depending on the choice.

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you Dave and Gabriel for the response.

2 Likes