TouchOSC Surface for Cantabile 3

Hi All,

This is a Touchosc surface for Cantabile 3 users that visit the Community Forum Brad provides. It has a main page for most functions, a detailed control page for the common indexed objects and a keyboard controller page for triggering and perforfance use. It can be installed on Android or iPad. Included in the zip file are all the files to set it up and test it with a more detailed pdf instruction manual. It is a ‘use at your own risk’ product but I can help set it up in most cases if needed as TouchOSC can be tricky at first use. Hope it finds use and is enjoyed!

Thanks to @brad for making Cantabile 3 and all the folks at the site who help me broaden my knowledge. Here it is! Cheers!

C3 TouchOSC dist_2_20_2018.zip (5.4 MB)

Dave

11 Likes

Once again…very nice work Dave. Looks great.

2 Likes

Thanks Corky, for the encouraging words they are appreciated very much. :slightly_smiling_face:

Dave

1 Like

Oh wow Dave, that looks great - I’m going to have to give that a try.

That’s given me an idea. When we sound check, I take a windows tablet out into the audience area and adjust levels using the web browser to the MOTU mixer.

I also take a little Korg MicroAir keyboard so I can play a few piano notes and check levels. It connects via bluetooth to the windows tablet which is running rtpmidi which sends the notes back to the C3 PC over wifi.

This is all quite unwieldy and almost certainly going to let me down at some point!

I could replace the korg with your template and run it from my phone over vanilla wifi.

Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Many Thanks! Now I just gotta get my Grandkids to return my tablet!

1 Like

Thanks, Dave. I have thought about doing something like this for a long time. You just saved me several hours!

1 Like

Awesome stuff here! Thanks :smiley:

Hi Dave, just tried this and got it running fairly quickly thanks to your excellent instructions.

A quick question before I dig into it too far. Can you/Have you tried sending text from C3 to Touch OSC? I guess via SysEx messages? I’m thinking of a simple screen on my phone showing song name and song state with Next/previous song and state buttons. That gives me a remote controller for C3.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi Al,

Thanks for trying it and I hope it comes in handy! I looked at this closely and was unable to do it because of the limits of the TouchOSC program. I think the developers would have to add sys-ex and I couldn’t find it if it is there. This surface I made just sends and recieves standard MIDI CC data.

1 Like

Hi All,

I have been using this gadget for a while and decided to revisit it’s setup and configuration recently. I was dropping the rack into all the songs in a set list and using TouchOSC driver for connections. I have redone some things on the installation of the rack and the drivers need to use it.

First off I got rid of TouchOSC Bridge and switched to using rtpMIDI and Apple Bonjour print services driver to handle the network link to the Pad (These links are at the bottom of the post). The input and output routes in Options were edited so that the checkboxes for the rtpMIDI Computer port are selected.

Next step was I installed the rack as an embedded rack in the Background rack. Then I made set the input routing and the output routing for the rack and presto, all done. I added the states to turn it on and off as well. It works great and makes installing it a lot easier. The background rack method had problems when I first made this but C3 updates and improvements have fixed now.

rtpMIDI by Tobias Erichson - rtpMIDI | Tobias Erichsen

Bonjour Print Services - Download Bonjour Print Services for Windows v2.0.2

Enjoy!

Dave

2 Likes

Hi All,

Brad recently brought out some new options for Bi-Directional bindings for CC controllers and it allowed a revision of the C♪3 control surface I made for Cantabile some time ago. It tested well here but some new considerations would be in order if you want to use it. First off the Environment ports must be checked on in Options and the MIDI input and output ports you create in options must be named “TouchOSC” for the rack to work. If you are USB MIDI hard cabled from the iPad I also recommend using the Bomes TouchOSC Bridge instead of rtpMIDI and turning off the wireless on the iPad. rtpMIDI wireless is OK for most everything but not good for metronome flashes so you do have a choice as to the port you want to use.

The updated manual covers it for the most part. I did however add some more navigation buttons for routing, bindings & escape plus revised the metronome area due to new features now available in C♪3.

C3 TouchOSC II.zip (2.0 MB)

If you want to have either of these controller rack’s features installed in the background rack PM me and I’ll explain how to do it.

Also, there were other features added after this came out that allowed “Rack MIDI In” and “Rack MIDI Out” bidi bindings so I made a version with those type of bindings as well. You would route it as you would the original version using the rack MIDI In and Out ports for your connection points. Here it is for those who prefer that method.

touchoscCantabile3.cantabileRack (200.1 KB)

Enjoy!

Dave

4 Likes

VERY NICE !! You were right on top of that one.

1 Like

Thanks @Corky, I’ve been wanting to improve this for a while and the recent features have allowed that to occur. It is running very stable with metronome flasher and all thanks to Brad in his lab! The surface can do a lot of things in C♪3 for sure.

Dave