Tom Petty Critical UPDATE: Dead or Alive at 66?

This from several news sources:

UPDATE We’re told after Petty got to the hospital he had no brain activity and a decision was made to pull life support.

Tom Petty was rushed to the hospital Sunday night after he was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest … law enforcement sources tell TMZ.
EMTs rushed to his Malibu home and were able to get a pulse. He was rushed to the UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and our sources say he was put on life support.
Petty’s condition is unknown but was critical from the moment he was found.
Petty, who became famous with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in 1978 with “Breakdown,” is 66.
We’ve been in touch with numerous people from Petty’s camp and they are clearly upset but not talking.

UPDATE: Dead at 66

Too bad - great songwriting talent and performer.

Terry

1 Like

Huge fan of more than just his music, a blow …

I’m trying to wrap my brain around this. Guy was not that old- was he a smoker? Sometimes though you can lead the healthiest life ever and a genetic defect will get you. You never know. I wasn’t a huge fan but I always admired Petty’s approach to things- using a real Hammond when it wasn’t cool in the New Wave era, recording live basic tracks off the floor. RIP, Tom.

He recently admitted to his Heroin addiction in the 90’s. Probably contributed to his demise.

Another legend… :-/

Sad news. I liked a lot of his stuff without being a fan. The scary thing is that he is only 13 years older than I am. I Need to pull my finger out on my music to ensure I leave a legacy (good or bad!)!!

A sad day indeed. Most musicians are lucky to be able to cobble together enough songs to fill one album. His greatest hits alone took over two and was still going. A true songwriting icon who will be missed. Loved his music.

Was searching for some updates on Tom and stumbled on this. For all those who haven’t seen this before, a lesson in old school from Benmont Tench https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuj0dKtYKgk

1 Like

Legends…

Enjoying this video !

He sold well over 80 million records. @Derek he is only 2 yrs my senior !!

AND…ANOTHER UPDATE:

Several news agencies have backed off the “death” story, and gone back to the critical story. CBS and MSN are still maintaining he has died. They all agree he is brain dead and off life support.

This is starting to rival Chevy Chase on SNL’s Generalissimo Franco’s still dead story.

Out of respect for Mr. Petty I’ll refrain from all Monty Python references to say that he is now, in fact, actually dead. Poor Jeff Lynne- he’s losing all his collaborators. I can’t imagine how that must feel.