Thoughts about a new laptop?

Sounds interesting - even though I’m not a huge fan of processors running above their specs - my doctrine is to prioritize on stability, not the last bit of performance. BTW: the i3 8109U is specced for a TDP of 28 W, so that wouldn’t be boosting, but performance to spec - and one less worry :wink:

Just out of interest: what temperature does a CPU that’s boosted this way run at?

My ASRock cube supports processors with up to 65 W, which is helpful :wink:

I fully confirm @cpaolo situation. I see exactly the same LatencyMon results on my home theater NUC. A new one that I could buy for Cantabile would be i7 10th release, with thunderbolt and usb c, perfect to drive a touchscreen monitor, one cable for graphics and power.
I am checking prices, Asus and Gechic seem expensive, some Chinese low cost alternatives…
I learnt recently that pure power is not the key, but true driver optimization: my MSI processor is i7 10750H…
I would prefer anyway to run LatencyMon before buying a new NUC, not easy. Amazon accept returns but it would be NUC plus RAM plus SSD…

More tests running on my home theater NUC. After usual tricks to improve audio performance.
Since one hour both LatencyMon and my audio board diagnostics show constant 50 microsecond total latency.
I never saw something like that on my notebooks (4 models in 15 years).
I am feeling excited…
I cannot play my keyboards on it because home theater is a too complex mechanical setup, I don’t want to take it out and install all my synths on it
But it looks very promising.

There is a later video which gives the answers for Windows 2004 and 20H2. He waffles for over an hour before giving the answers but its worth looking in the comments for what is needed. Basically he restores the power options that Microsoft has hidden progressively. Also because I have 16Gb RAM I discovered I don’t need paging or virtual memory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv4IURsOsn0&t=5869s

That’s right. The i3-8109U running at 28W is not overclocked nor over powered. I don’t like the overclock, I had bad experiences with the Athlon-X2, BSOD and frozen Windows every five minutes.

I checked the CPU temperature during a stress test, it’s 81°C on package and 84 on cores.

Paging memory is a creepy thing coming from the dark ages :upside_down_face:. With 8 or more GB, no one needs that. It’s disabled on all my PCs.

Are you sure? On every LatencyMon test I see hard page faults. This should be sign that a system call was using virtual memory. Am I wrong?

Here is what @Brad had to say about page faults in C3.

Just saying…

1 Like

Ok. But if it can happen than virtual memory must be kept on

In theory that is. I checked better, In both the music PCs, I have 1GB paging memory set. In work PC #1 (32GB RAM), PC #2 (8GB RAM) and multimedia PC (8GB RAM), virtual memory is disabled

Hey I did manage to source an Asus Vivobook Flip from eBay from a seller in Texas. It is amazing! Wow. It does everything I throw at it. I can process guitar audio with Helix Native and MIDI with Fishman Tripleplay and have drum vst all at the same time. Thank you for the recommendation.

2 Likes

+1 on DeskMini!

Awesome!

(muttering) I will not steal my 8 year old’s laptop. I will not steal my 8 year old’s laptop…

:nerd_face: :guitar: :notes:

Some great reading here!
I play live and use a Surface Pro 4 i5 which even fully tweaked still does the rare click or pop. After reading everyone’s experiences in this thread, I decided to get a new intel NUC 11th gen i5 with 32GB ram and a 500GB M.2 drive as my primary gigging rig and keep the Surface as a backup. I’m really hoping this will solve my glitching problems as I don’t use any sampled VST instruments, I really don’t wanna go back to a hardware keyboards :cry:

1 Like

I’ve been using an ASRock desktop Mini for 2 years now. I built a little case for the unit, and it works great. All SSD drives. I’ve been very happy with it.

Also, I’ve been using the free version of Macrium Reflect for imaging my system. It has saved my ass more than once.

Rick

2 Likes

I’ve been using Thinkpads for many years without problems.
My T440p just retired after 6 years.

I got a P15v (i7 - 8 cores, 32GB).
After turning of SpeedStep & CPU Power Management in the BIOS this Laptop is a beast.

Thinkpads are pricey but well worth the money and you can buy them alot cheaper as lease returns.

Steffen

1 Like

Hey,
i got a X1 Extreme 3.G, which is similar to your p15v…
What settings do you have done in Bios (and Windows)?
THX

Hi @Wurlitzer,

In BIOS:
i turned off Hyperthreading, CPU Power Management & Intel Speedstep

In Windows:
Advanced System Settings > Processor scheduling > Background Services
Virtual Memory > turned off

my settings in Cantabile:

When the laptop is set to “Performance Mode” (Power Plan) the fans are loud.
I put the laptop on a laptop cooler (coolermaster notepal u2) with a 12cm noctua fan. The 12cm fan is quiet and strong enough to omit the laptops internal fan.

Hey Thank You,
i will take a look into it and will try out.
Which CPU has your P15v build in?

Greetings from an other Steffen :slight_smile: