The Cat, new synth from Cherry Audio

1 Like

TBH, this is the first time I’ve heard of this synth. :open_mouth:

1 Like

This history of it is really interesting. Cherry Audio has a story about it, of course, on their webpage, but also G-Force Software has a video about the hardware on their page. It was meant to be a direct competitor to Moog and ARP, but at like half the purchase price.

• Paul
1 Like

What I meant was that’s a very rare and unknown synth.
Like for example PAiA, I have never seen one here in Italy. And not even in musical instrument magazines.

Anyway, I’d say it’s very ARP inspired (ADSR/AR, switches, pitchbend pot, duophonic, overall shape…) :wink:

The sound is interesting and different from that of Moog, ARP, Yamaha CS-30, Korg MS-20, just to talk about mono-synths I had.

I remember having watched a somewhat hilarious (as usual for them) video by Synthaur about the Cat. Here it is:

Gabriel

2 Likes

Woow, the synth heaven.

2 Likes

Ok…you guys reactivated my recently retired G.A.S. syndrome. :roll_eyes:

Downloading now…

3 Likes

I recollect there being copyright infringement discussions between ARP and Octave at the time in the 70s….

2 Likes

Syntaur’s Youtube video talks about the legal matter.

Ohh, not strictly related, but Behringer is selling its remake of CAT for less than €250.

1 Like

The Sound On Sound Article on the Cat covers all the legal shenanigans, and a great description of the synth

2 Likes

Very well done “vintage” review on a vintage synth. :grinning:

I already bought it. It is a definite keeper, in ways I never felt about some of my other VST synths (U-He Repro-5, GForce MiniMonsta). Very raw sounding, without seeming ‘digital,’ and the filter resonance will take your head off with the Q slider all the way up! I could never afford the Minimoog or Odyssey back in my youth, and even the Cat was kind of pricey for a college (uni) kid. But I remember wanting one! I know it was used in Split Enz’ I Got You and it sounds like it was there in No Doubt’s Just A Girl, too. Only two oscillators, but each one can send multiple waves at once, and each one has a sub-oscillator. It has some strange but very usable modulation routings, too. Add in polyphony, and it’s a fantastic lead and effects synth!

Regards,
-BW