Tablet recommendations?

Hi Guys,
I’ve been playing around with cantabile installed on my laptop with a couple of different midi controllers and really enjoying it so thinking of getting a windows tablet to run it on.
I’ve seen that a few people run it on surface pros but that’s a bit out of my price range, does anyone have any recommendations for cheap(er) tablets? (although i am aware that performance is also dependant on how many/which vsts are running etc )

:slight_smile:

I run an older Toshiba Satellite Pro P755-S5390, purchased in 2011. It has an Intel Core i7 (2nd Gen) 2670QM / 2.2 GHz processor, 6GB RAM, 500GB solid state drive and Windows 10. Unlike a lot of Cantabile users, I use the onboard sound card. I’ve used this set up to play live many times with a 5 piece classic rock/pop band. I’ve loaded setlists with 40 songs and a total of about 100 plugin instances. I’ve never had a problem which I could trace to the hardware.

I’m laying this out not because I recommend purchasing an older laptop, but to illustrate that Cantabile can run well on less than state of the art hardware. If you do end up using an older laptop, I highly recommend replacing the hard drive with a solid state drive- it makes a huge difference in how quickly Cantabile loads songs.

I’m not a full time or even every-weekend musician. If I was I would make the investment in more up-to-date hardware.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, so crazy surface level specs arent really required. :slight_smile: ill probably look for a windows tablet somewhat comparable to your toshiba and just see how it goes as im still not using cantabile for live performances (yet)

1 Like

Please do share what you find out - I’m also in the market for a Windows tablet but a Surface is out of the budget for me.

Terry

HP Envy 360. Got an i7 with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM on sale for 7-800 at Best Buy last summer. Works great and not a ridiculous amount of bloatware to remove.

1 Like