Studiologic with Cantabile?

Hi,
I’m looking into SL88+mixface setup and as I see many of you have similar setups, how to you manage program changes or song changes? Is there a way to set up some buttons to quickly trigger changes on a fly (during a song playing?) rather than scrolling a circular button?
Thanks and regards,
Matej

Yes, at least if you have Solo or Performer, then you can use bindings to go to next or previous song (or song state within a song, if that is needed). Personally I use the transport buttons, as I don’t need them for anything else, thus having them as generic buttons that works independently of what zone I have selected.

Thanks, good to hear you can use transport buttons, I wasn’t sure if they are programmable as well. How about arbitary non-linear patch changes? What’s the quickest way?
Thanks and regards,
Matej

Be aware that the transport buttons sends on another midi input than the rest of the mixface, and they send program change commands. I have the specifications if you need them, just let me know.

Regarding patch changes, I am not sure. I have wrapped all that kind of settings in states in the different instrument racks, so I have made a setup that picks the right state (and thus right patch) for a given song, plus used some of the transport buttons to navigate up and down through the states, but nothing to make arbitrary non-linear jumps. I would assume that you could use the buttons on the mixface, after all, you have four zones each with two sets (1 - 8 and 9 - 16), but it all depends on you needs, e.g. how many different patches you want to move to.

1 Like

Thanks! Looks good.
regards,
matej

Matej,

I’m using the nine Mixface’s sliders as Hammond vsts drawbar, buttons and kobs for misc uses. As Torsten said, transport and knob/slider MIDI are not on the same channel, but this is not a problem, Cantabile’s midi filters are quite powerful to manage them.

1 Like

I would add that depending on the DAW mode you set the SL to, transport commands differ. I could get some modes to work but not the others. IIRC I set it to Cubase mode and then use the Cantabile learn setting. YMMV but it does work!

FYI I usually use my Keylab MKII buttons and sliders as control surface; I got the SL for situations where I can’t just bring my Keylab, like playing on a different continent :smile: - the SL is setup so it behaves identically to the Keylab control surface. Verfy happy with it but only need it a couple of times a year.

Good point, DAW mode is important. I checked, I have mine set to Reason, and I got it to work, and as I don’t use the SL Mixface for controlling a DAW I just picked one.

You were lucky - not all DAW modes work with Cantabile - I had to try 2-3 before I had any luck :slight_smile: