Stuck on Cantabile 2 - Why is Cantabile 3 So Great?

Hi,

I just thought I’d add my first comment on this discussion board in replying to this post. I too have a very stable Cantabile 2 setup and for months have been putting off the change to 3 (again 2 was working very well) as the work flow is radically different.

However I had some space between gigs, so decided it was time to make the migration. I spent one evening messing about, and ended up with three or four issues, where I couldn’t quite see how to get what I wanted out of V3 in terms of what I had V2 setup and doing.

So I sent Brad an email with three queries in. Within a few hours I had quite a detailed reply from Brad, which resulted in a few more exchanges and clarifications. The following evening I sat down for an hour, and armed with Brad’s advice, I had made the migration.

Having now done it, I would say that V3 is a complete step change for good reason. I love Cantabile 2, but 3 is much more logical and flexible, so it’s worth the pain of a few hours getting your head around the migration, and I cannot praise Brad enough for the prompt and friendly advice that he provided. Excellent service!

Regards
Derek

5 Likes
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

Hi Everyone -
another newcomer to the board although I’ve been following Cantabile on the KVR site for several years.

I’d like to add my vote for V2 over V3… But first a little history - I’m no longer a gigging musician -not for the last 30+ years (I’m pushing 70). I only started hearing about MIDI around 1985. My first job was playing the organ for a roller skating rink (yes, they had LIVE music back then) when I was 17 and still in high school. I worked there for 8+ years playing an old Hammond C3. When I was old enough to play in clubs, I carried around an organ, electric piano, and eventually a Moog & a Freeman string machine, as well as a separate PA system. At one point my rig consisted of an Baldwin PR200 behemoth with a tone cabinet the size of a buffet and two 147 leslies. Needless to say moving all that heavy equipment from site to
site was a real challenge (thinking back, it’s no wonder that my back is a mess). Thankfully, since I was mostly a solo performer, I stayed put for a a long time. From about 1986 till 2011 my setup consisted of multiple keyboards and rack-mounted synth modules. When I discovered VST’s I gradually replaced everything except the keyboard controllers to software.

I purchased V2 solo in 2011 because it was the best VST host program – IMHO- available
and only upgraded to V2 Performer to get the Midi routing table feature. Since I don’t play out any more, I really have no use for set lists, sessions, etc. I tried several times to adapt to V3, but in the end decided to stay with V2 because I really don’t need its features V3 – and V2 is just a lot easier to get my head. The only feature I wish V2 had is the ability to assign
different colors to the racks like V3 – these old eyes have trouble finding things in a multi-rack configuration.

So to Brad I’ like to say …… “I love V2 - please keep it alive”
Cheers,
pjay

2 Likes

Hi @pjay

Thanks for the feedback - glad you’re enjoying Cantabile, but sorry v3 didn’t work out for you. Yes there is a bit more of a learning curve but all the changes are there for a reason and most people who make the move never look back. If you’ve got specific questions about v3, please ask away - happy to help get you up to speed.

As for keeping v2 alive - I don’t intend to “kill it” and a complimentary license for v2 is included when purchasing v3 but I have no plans for any new development on v2.

Brad

Hi,

I thought I’d report back now I have fully migrated to V3 and am about to retire V2.

You do need to change your thinking to migrate from V2 to V3, but with the help that Brad gave in answering my queries the migration was relatively painless and now it’s done things look much neater and setting up is more intuitive.

So here is another person not looking back! :smile:

Regards
Derek

4 Likes