Stepping through setlist and states

Dear users,

I just started with Cantabile which I intend to use on stage, e.g. with musical performances. Typically I would have to change quickly from instrument within a song and between songs. I have been doing this recently using Mainstage and an Airturn BT200S bluetooth pedal.
What would be the recommended way to perform this with Cantabile?

thanks for your help!
Joop

Hi Joop & Welcome to the Forum!

For fast switching the performer version is required to have preloaded set lists which make for faster song switching. For fast sound changes it depends on the type of vsti you are using. Patch changes on modeled synths are instant whereas sampled instruments take longer to load. You can use state changes (available in Solo & Performer) to do large scale fast changes in songs too. I hope this helps, there is a lot of info on the Cantabile website regarding all this so take a look over there too for more details.

Cheers!

Dave

Hi Dave,
thanks again for the quick response. I’ve seen that sampled instruments take longer to change indeed. The key point here was actually how to activate the change, whilst having both hands on your keyboard. A bluetooth pedal could solve this, but I did not see much information on that on the website or in the forum.

regards,
Joop

Hi Joop,

OK, I get it, in Cantabile you first create a virtual port that connects your pedal array in Options>MIDI ports and then in the Song you can either create a route from that port to the plugin you want to change patches on and send proper MIDI PG change messages to it which can be be mapped to the plugins’ snapshot slots. Or you could use bindings (available in Solo and Performer) and map the changes from the bindings you created.

Dave

1 Like

Or just in simple terms, to change from one song state to the next, I use a switch pedal plugged in to whichever midi keyboard I’m using and bind that to next state/song. I don’t think I’d trust Bluetooth for that, but I’m old…

P

1 Like

Hi Dave,
that sounds pretty complicated,…
I want to use setlists, so I will buy the solo or performer if I meet my requirements (in theory,…).

If I understand well I can map the bluetooth pedal to a MIDI signal. I’d guess that I would like to bind that to the up/down commands for the setlist.
Possibly I can just add a keyboard to the USB entry of the labtop and use the shortcuts. I’d guess that I can quickly reach to this keyboard as well, if I position it well.
Most important is that there is a solution.

Joop

I have a Yamaha P140 keyboard. As far as I know there are only inputs for sustain and aux pedal. Do I miss something?

Yes, that would be done with bindings like this

If you use the Qwerty keyboard on the PC you can use bindings like this. ( be sure the hot keys you choose are not already used by checking the hotkeys list in Options)

Also the set list is numbered and the number corresponds to a MIDI PG change number. So you can call up specific Songs using those program numbers.

Dave

1 Like

I still use my programmable Cherry Numpad for switching songs/songstates.
If the song is in the order of the setlist I only have to click “s” for the next song else “song number + s”.
For song states I use seamless switching so I can hold the last chord from the previous state with the sustain pedal and have a hand free for switching to the next state with “t”.
I don’t use sampled instruments if not necessary though.

1 Like

Thanks UIrich,

this sounds also as an interesting option!

Joop

Thanks again, I am going to work on this!

Joop