Specific song crashing - debug steps?

What’s the best way for me to try to debug a crash before handing it off to Brad (@brad ).

I have a relatively simple song that crashes semi consistently (three plug ins).

• Crashes as part of a pre-load set list.
  • It doesn’t crash when loaded on its own.
  • It’s not 100% reproducible, but it is the same song every time, and crashes as I’m loading it.

This causes me to have to restart Cantabile… and unfortunately it’s happened at my two most recent gigs, and it’s a tune I have to start (Murder on the Dance Floor).

Have you tried verifying the setlist? It usually finds my mistakes and problems. Under the setlist menu.

Also…check to see if anything is causing a spike on the CPU during the release of the previous song.

Hi @PatAzzMusic

Is it prompting to send a crash report? I just checked and couldn’t see anything recent from you. Crash report is always the best place to start.

If it’s not prompting to send crash report, try to capture one manually.

Brad

Brad

Yes it is prompting, but two of the times I was at a gig and not connected to the internet at the time, so I didn’t provide the dump. The third time I decided to try to recreate it and couldn’t (and then it crashed at the gig).

I’ll mess with it and make sure that I opt for the crash dump and post here so you know to look for it.

@Corky Will do. I’ll update the thread if I find anything there.

Hi Pat,

Try going to Tools>Open Settings Folder in Cantabile. It should have a folder for crash reports in it that are in zip files with dates and times. e-mail the ones that are from the right dates to Brad.

Dave

@brad Crashdump sent.

Will work on getting some additional dumps up on OneDrive (that’s being finicky with sync right now).

@Corky Playlist verified with no errors.

Hi Pat,

The crash report is showing a crash when

dispatching op code 24 (effSetChunk) to plugin Omnisphere

effSetChunk is how Cantabile passes the plugin’s previously saved data back to the plugin.

In other words, the plugin (Omnisphere) is crashing when Cantabile is trying to reload its saved state.

Suggestions:

1. Make sure you’re running the latest version of Omnisphere.
  2. Try re-creating the plugin state in a new instance of Omnisphere and hope whatever is spooking it doesn’t creep back in.
  3. Report it to Spectrasonics and see if they have a solution.

Brad

Thanks Brad. I’ll try those solutions.

Stay tuned (pun intended).

Quick update.

Definitely an issue with the Omnisphere patch. Upon further review, when I played it, every other note was sounding… Don’t know what causes that, but I am looking into it further and will reach out to Spectrasonics when I get more information.

Consider the issue closed. :slight_smile: