Sonivox "Essential Keyboard Collection" on sale - any good?

Just got an email from Sonivox showing the Essential Keyboard Collection on sale for $99.

Has anyone had any experience using “Essential Keyboard Collection” with Cantabile? It seems like it would fit right into the live performance mold.

I’ll probably buy it, and provide a review if no one else has. So far, it sounds pretty good, but until I get it into a rehearsal and a gig, I won’t know how well it will work.

Just spent some time with the demo version:

• Pianos decent-ish - some funny high-mid ringing in most of them that I find a bit annoying; Yamaha sounds a bit bland and lacks depth
  • Rhodes / Wurly / Pianet: pretty good - Velvet legacy shows!
  • Tonewheels: I don’t trust an organ that doesn’t let me control the drawbars - fixed registrations only! Plus the Leslie imitation is horrible!
  • Church Organ: one registration only, but decent
  • Harpsichord - pretty good
  • Clavinet: useable - don’t quite get the wah modes; they don’t work as I’d expect them
  • Harmonium: awful to my ears; tinny, unorganic attack, not really playable
  • Toy Piano: a nice gimmick, but not what I’d call “an essential keyboard”…

Overall:

• good handling, quick loading times: definitely a plus!
  • decent CPU / memory footprint
  • only two parallel activations - a no-no for me (studio + live laptop + live backup)

For me definitely not a $199 value, not sure if the $99 sale is really worth it. Maybe nice for getting started, but as soon as you become really serious, this will not cut it IMO - nice electric pianos and clavi / harpsi, but the rest is too “meeeh” to me…

Just my 0.02 EUR…

Cheers,

Torsten

Thanks Torsten. As much as I love some of the Sonivox stuff I’ve had over the years, listening to the demos there were a couple of good sounds, and if I didn’t already have _any _sounds, it might be a good buy.__However I think I’m going to pass on this and put my money into either the Arturia Upgrade (I skipped 6) or something else.

Thanks for taking the time…

Pat

Take this with a grain of salt because I’m not familiar with the exact product we’re talking about here… BUT:

I’ve never been impressed with anything I’ve checked out from them And even $99 sounds like robbery based on that. $19, maybe. YMMV :smiley: