Solved: UVI Workstation crashing Cantabile

UVI workstation causes Cantabile to freeze requiring force quit whenever I open the browser to save or load Multis or presets in the main application or containing UVI libraries. This occurs with the latest version of Cantabile and UVI Workstation as of this date, March 10, '23.

Have you updated iLok (if you use it)?

Yes. It updates automatically when you install a new library. No problem running UVI products in the latest version of Ableton Live.

I’m hoping there’s someone else out there who uses Cantabile and UVI products and can verify or refute my problem.

I use Acoustic Samples products, which is hosted by UVI Workstation. I am using updated UVI, iLok, and Cantabile with no problems.
I suggest you send @brad a crash report, so he can see what is going on.

Regards

Corky

Thanks for the feedback, Corky. I can run UVI libraries and but I can’t load any presets that are internal to the library that call up the Explorer window. Can you verify that you can do that without any problem?

Well I discovered something. If I select a preset and click the open command or cancel command in the lower right of the Explorer window, nothing happens, I can’t cancel and the interface appears to hang. But if I double click on a selection, it loads just fine. But I can’t save a preset, either a new one or over an existing one. Double clicking on an existing preset to save over it brings up the confirm dialog box which then hangs and you can’t cancel. Another oddity - the proper extension does not show up as default in the Explorer window.

I will check it out, and get back to you. Thanks for the additional info. I am gigging tonight, so it will be tomorrow before I can test it.

Cheers

1 Like

Actually I have no problems with UVI Workstation 3.1.11, Cantabile Performer 4.0 Build 4061 and ILOK License Manager 5.5.2.3879 on WIN 11. When I update UVI products, I abort the installation of the new ILOK License Manager versions during the installation process (this is possible when you press the cancel button. There is no error message and the whole installation process will be finished regularly). I have problems with my USB dongle after updating to a newer version. The ILOK-Dongle is no longer recognized.

Organist - May I ask what UVI product you are using? I may have the same library and can check on my end. It’s not the installation or the usual running of the libraries I have a problem with but it’s the saving of presets when they use the Windows Explorer interface. That is, presets within the library, not the multis… if that makes sense.

Hi Gary,

I finally got a chance to look into UVI. I have no problems with the workstation. I remember a few years ago when I first started using B5 Organ, presets were a problem. I never used presets in Explorer Windows because it always created problems.
But, @brad gave us preset models
( Preset Models - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians), which gave me the chance to save my presets within racks. Basically, I was able to save plugin presets, and my own presets, as states within a B5 rack. I never went back to Explorer Window. It is not user friendly, so I made it friendly within Cantabile.

Hope this helps

Corky

1 Like

You will need to use iLok manager and enter your login and password again. Your purchases should appear. Rebooting may solve it.

Regards

Corky

OK thanks… the thing is, with UVI products like Asteroid and their new Percussion Factory, to save and load individual track sequences you have to bring up the Explorer window and that’s done with a button on the library interface that pulls up the Explorer window… and that’s where it hangs. It works in the standalone Workstation and in Ableton Live, but not in Cantabile.

1 Like

I will look into further tomorrow. Maybe I can come up with a solution.

1 Like

Gary

Been working on this today, but no solution yet. Thought I would let you know how it was going.

Thanks. I just tested another UVI library and the same problem shows up. There’s no problem loading MULTI’s within the UVI Worstation menu, but attempting to load presets from within a UVI library that call up the explorer menu cause the problem. I can’t type a preset name or choose OPEN or CANCEL - it’s like the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, but yet I can double click on an existing file name to open it. So a workaround for saving a new preset is to create a name first in the folder outside of Cantabile and then the name will show up in the Explorer browser and I can double click it to save over it.

1 Like

I’m going to restart this topic with a clearer approach if it is OK.

Gary

I can not recreate your problem. The only two “actual” UVI" programs I have are Digital Synsations and Rotary. My other plugs are from Acoustic Samples, hosted on UVI Workstation. I am stumped, but I am wondering if you directed Workstation path to Cantabile.
Can you post some screen shots of the problems within Cantabile? It might help us to see what you are seeing.

Corky - I have Rotary as well and it does not have the problem when the Explorer Window is opened to save/load presets. You can type a name just fine. But it uses a different UVI engine and not the UVI Workstation “library” interface. As far as Digital Sensations goes, if it uses the UVI Workstation library interface where you can load and save MULTI’s for other libraries (that you may or may not own) then you could test to see if when you try to save a custom MULTI - which should bring up the Explorer Window - if it allows you to type in a name. Note that I am using the latest UVI workstation version as well as the latest Cantabile 4 version. Thanks!

Thanks for the additional info.