[Solved] Sysex not reaching VST PLugin

New to Cantabile (long time VSTHost user), but I can’t for the life of me get Sysex from my controller to the VST runninfg in Cantabile. I can see the sysex coming in on the midi monitor, but it’s not affecting the VST. The VST is receive MIDI, MSB, LSB, CC etc fine. I’ve got no filters, simply as installed and then patched to audio and midi which works fine. What do I need to add to not filter the sysex out of the incoming midi stream? Sysex received looks pretty normal to me?

F0 43 10 4C 08 00 07 00 F7

Hi Sam, and welcome to the forum

Just to be sure, the midi monitor you use is on the midi in channel directly to the vst, right? If so, try the switch that toggles between pre and post midi filter, to see if that changes anything. If there is a difference, then open the midi filter and check it, there might be an uninitialized SysEx filter that snatches the messages.

Let me know if you need screenshots and more details to find all the places mentioned.

1 Like

Thanks Torsten. I’m monitoring the midi input to the plugin I believe. I think it’s probably JBridge as the plugin I’m using is particularly old and a bit unusual. I’ve always used it in the 32-bit VSTHost or SAVIHost and haven’t had to think about Sysex before. It’s a Yamaha XG VST plugin and so supports operation and patch selection via GM midi as well as XG midi. XG midi is basically a lot of SysEx controls and this mode isn’t working in Cantabile. I did a quick video below showing the issue as easier to explain.
I show selecting patches in both GM and XG mode. You will note that only GM mode works because it isn’t SysEx. I’m pretty sure as I’m not filtering anything, this is simply an old plugin and JBridge doesn’t know what to do with the SysEx maybe?
https://youtu.be/kTgeuGvqPpc

I don’t think its a jbridge issue. Please post a (zipped and copyright free) midifile containing sysex, I’ll check it out.

Hmm, I am out of ideas except your suggestion about jbridge. Your video clearly shows that the sysexs gets through the midi filter, so all my suggestions were wrong :-).

I don’t know what version of jbridge you are using, but a quick look at the webpage reveals that sysex is in 1.76 beta.

2 Likes

The beta worked - whoopee! Thanks Torsten. I did see there as a beta earlier today but didn’t look like you could download it as demo, but you can!

1 Like

Thanks for the offer. The 1.76 beta version of JBridge has fixed the issue. Looks like it’s a known issue because the beta page states this beta has ‘– experimental support added for input SysEx messages.’

Glad you solved the problem.

Marked as solved and moved to “related”