Here is mine.
Currently setting up for my Carreg Ddu project where my live playing will be more guitar focused, but the same Cantabile rig was also used in Welsh Floyd (which I have now left) and will be used in other keyboard focused projects.
Onto the Cantabile rig
- Laptop running Cantabile (of course!) which hosts the backing tracks mixed down from Cubase. I have the tracks as four channel WAV files - two for FOH and two for cues.
- Nord G2 Engine - Modular synth in a 1U rack) - not currently used in this venture, but will be in others, and it adds very little weight to the rack!
- Behringer RX1602 stereo line mixer for mixing the sources (laptop, guitar pedals, etc.)
- Shure Transmitter for In Ear Monitoring (backing tracks and Click)
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface which gives me four channel output (two for front of house sound and two for click tracks, and of course MIDI IO
- DMXIS USB Interface - you use a VST plugin inside a VST host and use MIDI notes in a track to select DMX lighting cues
- MOTU MIDISPORT 2x2 USB MIDI interface
Finally a view of the back of the rack, so you can see it is designed for easy connection on stage - no fumbling inside the rack looking for hard to see connections! I need to add some extra couplers for extra channels into the mixer, and also I think I will get an IEC mains inlet from Radio Spares (the bottom plate has a cutout for one) so I don’t have a dangling mains lead during transit, which is always a nuisance.
I’m designing this gig rack with flexibility in mind for a larger keyboard rig as well. I am currently dropping all of my soft synths onto this laptop so I can use them in Cantabile. The 3 MIDI Interfaces the rack gives me, allows me to connect several items with fully duplex MIDI and I will use the MIDI processing capabilities of Cantabile to effectively provide Master Keyboard duties in terms of selections, splits, channel routing, etc. I currently gig with a Kronos X61 on the top tier and an EX5 on the bottom tier, but wish to retire the EX5 from gigging. I was considering the Montage, but people say it is hamstrung in its Master Keyboard capabilities (need to look into that).
I decided using Duplex MIDI between the boards (instead of my current method) will give me a lot more flexibility, and it doesn’t matter about the EX5 replacement being a good master. In fact with all of my soft synths on the laptop, I may consider just having a MIDI only controller for the bottom tier. Between the Kronos, Nord g2 and a plethora of soft synths, if I cannot get good sounds out of that lot then I might as well give up!