Show me your Cantabile Rig!

It’s a CME Xkey 37. Very nice as a portable substitute for a real keyboard :wink: . The keys feel more like a typing keyboard, but after a bit of getting used to, they’re actually quite useable. And they even allow polyphonic aftertouch (which I’ve changed to “normal” channel aftertouch, because that’s what my other keyboards have).

These days, CME sell the Xkey 37 as “Xkey 37 LE” without the pedal-and-MIDI adapter which you have to buy separately (if you need it). They also have a Bluetooth version if you want to be fancy and go wireless. But that one doesn’t allow you to attach a sustain pedal, so I’m staying wired…

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Here’s my compact rig for travel and open mics. The E-MU XBoard49 just fits in the case below it. The Dell 2 in 1 has a 4 port switched USB hub that connects to the keyboard and Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface. The whole thing weighs about 10 lbs.

3 Likes

My rig for a Halloween show - we have an opening act and only 30min to swap stage gear, so everything is on a single stand. I can assemble and wire it all up in the wings and me and another guy can carry it on and place it.

• Ultimate Support “Tinker-Toy” construction
  • Custom 3D-Printed Kronos end panels
  • Custom 3D-Printed Laptop holder
  • Quick disconnect pedalboard snake

LF+ Mini foot controller sends MIDI PC’s to Cantabile, which sets up all the sounds, splits, layers, and controller routings for each song. For the tunes I start, the foot controller also starts a click that is only in my ear bugs. It gets me in the tempo ballpark and the first note I play stops the click.

It’s about 40% Kronos sounds and 60% VSTs (Diva, Arturia Jupiter 8v, Hammond B3-x, Addictive Keys piano, Halion Sonic 3)

The Forte is used just as a controller 95% of the time (hence “Silent Program”), I currently only use two Kurzweil patches - both are EPs.

~ vonnor

8 Likes

Wow, industrial-grade connectors. :slightly_smiling_face:

Haha not really - very light-duty. https://www.te.com/usa-en/products/connectors/circular-connectors.html

1 Like

Very neat. My rig is Montage 7, Kronos X 61 and rack with NUC PC running Cantabile (and Nord g2 Engine), which gives me a lot of firepower and the best of hardware and software engines.

1 Like

Hi Vonnor,

Do you have a link for the laptop stand? I’ve been using a Dell 2 in 1 with an E-MU Xboard 49 - I think that one would fit.

Thanks,

Doug

Hey Doug. I don’t have a link but shoot me a gmail at koda.vonnor. I can mod my STL file to fit your 2-in-1. You have a 3D printer? Also note, the two 1/2" dia aluminum tubes you’d have to get and cut to length.

Also keep in mind, this stand is form-fitted to sit on top of a Kronos2-61.

~ vonnor

1 Like

Very nice customized setup!
Question re the Ultimate stand parts… Have you found a supplier for the standard black aluminum tubes that Ultimate used in their stands? I have a larger Ultimate home studio setup, but down to only one 48" tube left, which I may have to cut to a smaller size, but haven’t had any luck finding a source for those tubes.

Since this thread is still active… I moved to a new place and had to redesign my home studio setup. Decided to use a section of the main entryway which has ceramic floor tiles and 18’ high ceilings, which provides interesting acoustics! :grin:

5 Likes

Looks like my garage, but more organized. :smile:

1 Like

I imagine so. :wink:

Very nice setup though!

I’d love the monochromatic look in real life! Is that an A77?

As my email reply says, I just watch Ebay for the old A-Frame stands and pick them up if the price is good. That gets me both tubes and T-connectors for making the custom stands.

2 Likes

Yes, a Revox A77. I acquired it in the late 70’s and used it in a home studio setup for several years with a Dolby unit I still have. Had to move due to job change and packed it up in it’s original shipping carton and it’s been in storage for 35 years. With the rebirth of interest in vintage tape emulations, I unpacked it and in process of messing around with it through the aux send/return of my mixer. The beast is too heavy to sell and ship, so just hanging onto it for now and trying to get some use out of it. If nothing else it looks kinda cool with those 10" alum reels. :grin:

1 Like

After all these years time to post a pic of mine. Taken during sound check of a kind of Euro-Saturday-night-live show in Brussels - comedy for the eurocrat and expat community here (and selling out!). Keylab 88MKII with a nobrand laptop running Cantabile on top of it. Sound card (UR22 MKII) is on the floor; the acoustic guitar plugs into that and gets routed to the house PA thru Cantabile.

5 Likes

The red outfit looks really good on you :+1:

(Sorry: couldn‘t resist :wink:)

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You are soooo bad! lol.

1 Like

Thx. I’m flattered. You shameless flirt.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: