Show me your Cantabile Rig!

Hi Pete,

Please share info about the red Leslie switch.

Thanks,

1 Like

I also use the Logitech K400r keyboard. I know it’s very manual but if you pull the “nanoreceiver” from the 1st NUC and put it in the second it starts working instantly.

1 Like

Would like to see the keyboard enclosure - please share.

Thanks,

9 Likes

Wow! I love it!

• Paul

Very nice and clean setup. My bandmates are always saying negative things about my wiring harness. Unfortunately on my setup, wiring is essential. I try very hard to explain why I do what I do, but they are technologically challenged. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing - I like the design. What keyboard did you use? (assuming you pulled the keyboard elements from a production keyboard)

I also made it “too complicated”. Next time I will add just simple numbers to the connectors.
So that you only need to plug connector “1” into “1”.

I used a Fatar Keyboard. I read that it’s good quality and used by many masterkeyboards.
You can buy it the keyboard seperately, new.
It’s also possible to use other keyboards. A M-Audio Keystation will also work (just 115€).
I made the keyboard enclosure so that 61 and 76 keys will fit. With 76 keys the Modulation and Pitchwheel needs to be moved to another position as with 76 keys there is no space for this left to the keyboard.

I designed this keyboard enclosure “universal”. So it’s possible to just change the top cover and put cnc machine it to whatever you need. Like integrating mixers, controllers displays. I think it would be cool to have one more Display in the keyboard… one for cantabile, one for Notes/Sheets.
The top cover is just a plane aluminum sheet… so easy to modify and replace. It just needs to be screwed into the folded and hinged top cover.
The connection panels are also “removable”. So you just need to make a small panel instead of ordering a new enclosure. It’s also possible to have connectors at the left or right side (cheeks) of the keyboard. (or add some fancy led stuff with plexiglass to the sides… if you need)

So… I think I made everything to make it as universal as possible so that I hopefully never need to build it again. As you always need a keyboard, but you can change everything else in the future.

There are aluminum panels which are screwed to the bottom case, so you don’t need to drill into the bottom case (which might end up with 1000 screw holes if you make many modifications). these aluminum plates can be replaced easily. (for possible future modifications)

1 Like

Sure thing, I documented the whole Leslie switch design and installation in the following thread…

1 Like

Hi Roelli, I looked into it and all I need is a 2 way digital KVM switch to flip the Keyboard, HDMI & Touchscreen USB that’s it, as I already use a MIDI splitter box that is always connected to both NUCs and my vocal mic isn’t part of the keyboard rig. So a simple KVM switch should work fine :+1:

Love your rig by the way :heart: so neat :ok_hand:

Wow Frank,

this is awesome. Can you share details about the components (name, where to buy, etc.) and the CAD project of the enclosure?

Paolo

Not sure how I missed that thread!

1 Like

Pardon me if I missed this, I read up the thread for a ways and didn’t see it. But…legitimate inquiry, Venmo/Paypal at the ready - what would it take to get you to make me one of these? I have the NUCs and sound cards.

That is PRECISELY what I have been dying for and no company seems to produce.

@Corky the guys I’m playing with now all have flip phones and AOL. I put MP3s of our practice on G-Drive and none of them can figure out how to listen. :nerd_face::roll_eyes::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

You need to get out your old optical drive and burn some CD’s for them. :grinning:

2 Likes

Ha! I think they want cassette mix tapes!

3 Likes

I actually have some blank cassettes leftover from many years ago, just in case! I think one of my bandmates is still using a bag phone. He had to add a cigarette lighter to his vehicle to run it though. :rofl:

In all reality, the one thing I didn’t miss during the lockdown, was the criticism of my rig. Just as sure as the Sun rising every morning, my 1st rehearsal this year started with snide comments about “all those wires”. Yet, they never comment about a Hammond with the back off. Talk about wires…Geez. :roll_eyes:

My rig hasn’t changed a lot from a few years ago when I posted it above:

2 Likes

During the lockdown, I worked on a new “club” rig. These are some of the stages:

I am using a heavy Z-Stand which holds my Focusrite, laptop, 2 keyboards, and mounted mic stand. Everything I use is on this stand, so I take up much less space. I can only imagine what they will say concerning this rig. :smile:

2 Likes

I often get the : “why do you need a computer, just use the sounds in your keyboard?”

• Paul
2 Likes