Show me your Cantabile Rig!

And in all honesty, I don’t remember him playing it. It would be interesting to find out if he used it on record much if at all. If the Cruise hadn’t been postponed I’d ask him :smiley:

FTFY

(sorry for the low effort, I kind of need that during those times)

1 Like

Here’s a better shot from '82. There don’t seem to be any shots from '84 out there which is odd…

Be it ever so humble, I present my “rig”. The only live playing I’m doing these days in a band context is with my praise team at church. Not complex music, but it’s ripe with possibilities and I use “states” to create multiple sound setups per song. One keyboard does me fine. I’m using the church’s old Roland RD700sx as my midi controller. I gorilla tape my focusrite scarlette 2i2 and Korg NanKontrol 2 to the keyboard. The laptop sits on a stool at my left. State and song changes are made via foot pedal plugged into an Audiofront Quattro. The mixer at far left is part of the church’s Roland in-ear monitor system. I load chord charts as PDF’s into Forscore app and can view, edit and arrange them on my iPad Pro. Because the keyboard stays in place, it only takes me at most 10 minutes to set up and break down and everything I need to take home fits in my backpack gear bag.

3 Likes

Clean and nice!

Finally got mine how I like it:

I don’t gig much. The idea is to avoid paying >£2000 for a workstation.

6 Likes

Looks very familiar :slight_smile: - resembles my setup. I have looked at getting the Focusrite positioned like you have done it, but it kept being unstable and tend to fall down. How have you fastened it to the keyboard?

Yes, I discovered that keyboard stand extension recently. It’s actually for a microphone but I also found a mic to vesa adaptor. It’s a great space saver.

This stuff:

I think I just searched for heavy duty velcro. So far I haven’t had anything fall off but it hasn’t been subject to stage vibrations.

Rehearsal place. Also used as little studio

3 Likes

Here’s my rig set-up for Halloween.

Using ReaJS with a drum trigger script followed by ReaJS with a Round Robin script.

Cantabile for Halloween

3 Likes

If you need more holding power try using 3M Dual Lock. That stuff has massive holding power. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-lock-reclosable-fasteners-us/

2 Likes

That’s also my trick. I use velcro on everything. Only important thing is that it must be the original stuff to have a good sticking.
I’m summer it might fall off from the warmth. :crazy_face:

With my new custom keyboard, I now have my dream live rig:

Now all we need is a time when live gigs are possible again :mask::mask::mask:

11 Likes

Now that’s a MUSIC room!!! :smile: Happy about your new custom key rig, Christians’ work is great looking and from my quick read of your Cantabile setup this new rig is very streamlined and focused with it in mind. Great show Torsten! :+1:

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

Envy is overcoming my morning. :open_mouth:

Very clean setup Torsten…thanks for sharing!

Testing a lot of things at home too…

1 Like

Since i’m not out playing shows with the TSO tribute band this year, it’s a one-man show playing holiday music in my driveway for the neighbors.
The Roland AIRA MX-1 serves as my mixer and audio interface. With Cantabile i am able to send three separate stereo audio channels to the MX-1 mixer: one for backing tracks, one for left-hand bass, and one for other VST sounds.
Yamaha Motif XF6 is used both for internal sounds and as a controller for VST’s. I’m also using my old Kawai K5000S as a controller (nice action and a plethora of knobs and buttons), routed either to the Motif MIDI input or for VST’s.
Finally, the Line 6 FBV Express covers all my foot pedal needs. In addition to the expression pedal, i have the four buttons programmed for Piano sustain, Blue 3 rotary speed, Song start/stop, and Next song.

– Jimbo

4 Likes

After decades using hardware keyboards I switched to Cantabile earlier this year. I had Cantabile running on a couple MS Surfaces and a laptop however they were fraught with performance issues, so I recently decided to make a serious Cantabile rig that I could gig with.

Pictured is my mirrored i5 NUC system with touchscreen and wireless keyboard. Master controller is an Arturia KeyLab 88 MIDI’d into Cantabile Performer, loaded with PianoTech Standard, Korg M1 and VB3 II plugins - for the sake of having a lean system I rationalised down to those three and got rid of anything I didn’t use or own a license to. Cantabile is also loaded with drum loops so that I can perform solo or with a singer and guitarist as a trio.

On my to-do list is to install a KVM switcher in the NUC rack case so that I can quickly switch between the two NUC systems in an emergency.

8 Likes

Super clean!!

2 Likes

Setup looks very good!
I also thought about an “emergeny switch” which switches to another NUC.
But I think you also need to switch the microphone to the other interface, the midi cable AND the computer stuff at the same time. Pretty sure is nothing readily availbale.
So it depends on the type of kvm switch… if there is a toggle switch… momentary or not or if there is an A and B button. Then you could control the the KVM and the mic and Midi signal with some relais. The mic probably needs an extra resistor and capacitor so that there is no big PLOPP when switching.

I also built a new cantabile rig, which has everything integrated into one keyboard enclosure. (screen, interface, psu, mic input, sustain pedal input, symmetrical outputs, inear input, power input. So it feels a bit like in the old days… unpack one keyboards and mic… ready to go. Could make some pictures if someone is interested in seeing it.
I built a hole new mechanical keyboard enclosure with Fatar Keyboard and the top cover is hinged for easy access.

1 Like