Show me your Cantabile Rig!

Hi Douglas,
I use Camelot Pro on my iPad and Cantabile 3 on my computer. Both are connected to my audio/midi interface (an iConnectAudio 2+).
I am playing in 3 bands in very different situations and in different types of gigs.
In my opinion, the advantages of my setup are having the best of both worlds and maximum flexibility.
Camelot Pro is definitely the best performance software for the iPad. The computer version is also very good, with very good management of plugins and audio tracks, as well as of any external hardware instrument.
But, although it is used by many musicians, even professionals, Cantabile 3 is superior, especially because of its bindings system. For example, I use a Behringer X-Touch Mini as my personal mixer: thanks to the bindings of my “background rack” the knobs of the X-Touch are always perfectly aligned with the gains of the various racks of each of my songs and at any time I can see on the X-Touch the movement of the audio levels of each rack while I’m playing.
So, in a normal situation, my iPad with Camelot Pro is the centre of my setup: from there I choose the songs to play with Cantabile 3 and read out my sheet music. In addition, using the excellent AU plugins loaded on the iPad, I have a great backup system in case of a computer crash, without the need to carry around another backup computer.
If I decide to use my own hardware setup, based on a Nord Stage 3, the iPad is ready to drive that as well without the need for any changes.
If, for various reasons, I decide, as has happened to me several times, to play only with the iPad, there is no problem: everything is ready, even if clearly some plugins on the computer are superior to those loaded on the iPad.
I don’t want to say that mine is the only solution, there are probably even better ones, but it is the one that fully meets my needs.
And Camelot Pro for the iPad costs only $19.99.
Let me know what you think about it.
Hi
Giovanni

2 Likes

Giovanni,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my inquiry. I have, basically, the same setup at my fingertips (Cantabile 3, Camelot Pro [for Windows & iOS], Korg nanoKONTROL2, keyboard controllers [for me & my wife], Roland Integra-7 [can’t afford a Nord] and forScore [sheet music display]). Also, we each use an iConnectMIDI4+ to provide the connection for our individual station.

Camelot has been “in storage” since I acquired it, because it’s operation, to me, has a learning curve that I didn’t feel the need to learn at this point (Cantabile with forScore does all I need to perform). Your post made me curious as to what I could do with Camelot on my iPad. If I understand correctly, you have Cantabile set as your Host and Camelot set as your “remote” controller? Right now, Cantabile has our backing track running through a Media Player. The nanKONTROL2 is the Transport control, Song selector, Rack selector and Gain control. I use forScore to handle our Performance Set List and it loads the Songs from the Cantabile Set List (Cantabile will also load the correct Song on foreScore).

I’ll need to spend some time with Camelot to see if there would be an improvement to my work flow.

Thanks,

Doug

1 Like

I’ve been a Camelot beta tester since I started using Swam vsts sometime back. As you guys replied, I also find it to be light years behind Cantabile. Never thought about using it in that way, but I totally understand. I do not use backing tracks or have a need for sheet music, and have no additional external devices beyond a foot pedal to keep up with. Since I gig a lot, setup and teardown time is essential in many cases, which is why I spent lock down last year downsizing and modernizing my gear.
I use Cantabile show notes for lyrics and song maps. It works great. The future of Cantabile looks amazing, as Brad is taking it to a much higher level. Can’t wait to integrate it into my system.
Thanks for sharing…it’s always a learning experience seeing how others do their thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I totally agree about Cantabile. It’s the best software and Brad is really great.
That’s why I use it on my PC.
Thanks to you, Corky.

2 Likes

Here ist my cantabile rig. The only instrument I play with its native sounds is the Hammond xk1. Only the effect section is managed in Cantabile.

5 Likes

Nice setup…love the Disco Balls. :grin:

3 Likes

I put it all in a box. The backup computer runs in parallel.
Now it would only take a few seconds to switch to the backup system and I could use a pure masterkeyboard (without its own tone generation).

1 Like

Here’s my little vacation setup:

All the power of my stage setup, but carried in a backpack. So I can tune my song setups while I have time and come back home ready-to-rock!

Gotta love Cantabile :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Torsten

4 Likes

Nice rig, but, for me, it is overkill. My back hurts just looking at it. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Thanks for sharing!!

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s how to travel for sure. One problem though…my beer glass would be empty with a full one beside it.

Waiters are too quick here :wink:

1 Like

May be. It is 17.4 kg (38,4 lbs)

1 Like

Was just kidding…I knew you were referring to the computer, which I like.
I was joking about the whole setup…6 keyboards. My bandmates would defecate a bowling ball if I showed up with all that! I am tempted to send them your pic, claiming this is my new gigging rig.
Now, if I had a roadie and a technician, I could use that setup in a Prog Rock band, but would need to be fitted for a cape. :rofl:
Really nice rig for sure.

Cheers

Corky

Ah, I see - when I bought those instruments I always thought that I needed all that. They are in good condition and I use them for recording but don’t carry them around.
For a long time I used the Motif XF7 as a masterkeyboard but I’m planning to take the KeyLab88 MKII on stage though I’m not quite satisfied with its key action. For a two keyboard setup I would add the MOJO 61 for a better organ feeling.

1 Like

I have two 88 keyboards, but it became a problem using them on many of the stages I play on, considering fitting everyone on stage. I really miss them, but they were getting beat up with all the gigging I was doing anyway. They are in storage and used on larger stages and special gigs. Not real happy changing octaves all the time, but I eventually got used to it. :weary:

I had the Keylab88 MKI and recently replaced it with the MKII. The switch was a real shock - my first thought was that the MKII keyboard was defective because it felt so different from the MKI. My MKI felt similar to my Kronos 88 keyboard, but not as solid. The MKII is very different.

Turned out that my MKII keyboard was defective (8 keys that were sagging). I got a new one (without any hassle BTW), new one was not defective but same feel as the original. I had serious doubts about it. It feels heavier and more sluggish.

Turns out is a matter of getting used to it - have had it for 6+ months now, sold the MKI. key action is heavier, so it took (for me) a bit of tuning of velocity curves (more compression). But it’s absolutely fine! I turned on my old Kronos this week, after having played only the MKII for several weeks and the Kronos felt weird.

So my take - Keylab88MKII keyboard takes some getting used to. Now that I have gotten used to it I prefer it over my Kronos keybed.

YMMV of course.

1 Like

Corky Wakeman :joy:

3 Likes

This is exactely my playing experience with the Keylab 88 MKII too.
I still have the feeling that there is somthing strange in the way when playing.
Probably I get a Doepfer LMK2+ instead. I played one at a store some years ago and had a good impression then.

How long have you had it? I think it took my just over a week to get used to it, and then I started loving it. I really like the Keylab MKII series (I have a 61 key one as well - I hate waterfall keys in general but sometimes I need the portability). I even have a Minilab!

My needs for a controller are 16 pads, full transport controls, (at least) 9 faders and (at least) 9 assignable touch buttons. In 61 and 88 keys, 88 keys weighted. Only Arturia offers that today. PLUS on the Keylab you can control the button lights with sysEx - Love that as well!

An Akai MPK288 would suit me as well - but that does not exist (I mean their is no 88 key version of the MPK261 and MPK249)

So I’d advise you to take some time with the 88MKII - I would not swap it for any other controller right now.

1 Like

I have it for more than a year now but for piano playing I’m used to my Kawai. Probably I’ll have to be more patient.