Serious MIDI controller for Cantabile (fighting with stuck notes)

A quick update on this… I’ve found a situation where Cantabile doesn’t clean up a route correctly and can result in stuck notes. Investigating now and will get a fix out asap.

Brad

4 Likes

:+1:

I wish I would have be part of this forum a long time ago. I had the exact problem as OP. I found the solution. The problem was the interface. I spent 2 weeks of daily going back and forth with Arturia and finally track it to interface. There was nothing wrong in the path from the controller, but the path from the controller to the interface was not getting the signal. As soon as I change the interface, I never had a stuck note again. I did have the problem across different instruments from the V collection. None after the switch. I cannot explain it, nor would have I ever thought that was the problem.

Sorry dear @tsaub.
I didn’t understand your post.
What do you mean with interface? A midi box or an audio board with midi connection?
What was the faulty unit, brand and model.
And what is the new one?
And what is the midi controller?
Thanks!

1 Like

It could be this too. The sticky notes come and go. Especially when trying to to investigate…it never pops up when you’re trying to mimic the behavior.

Just a copy of a post in another section…

I just tested my system and Keylab mkII.
With all my surprise I was not able to get only one stuck note in 3 hours of wild playing!
I have a new much more powerful notebook, so I had to install everything new: all my hosts (Reaper and Cantabile) and Arturia USB driver which is quite new.
To me this seems the most important piece of software, it was already getting better, this last one seems perfect.
Then I upgraded firmware of Keylab mkII 61 (1.2.4).
Now everything seems extremely solid, I tried in every way to make my system fail: no way.
C3 version is the last stable known (3653): it drove Zenology Pro and Sampletank 4: no problem!
I am so happy!!!

3 Likes

I’m getting stuck notes as well. I never had this issue with my m-audio oxygen 49 controller with my hardware synths.
My setup in Cantabile is complex as I’m using several arps and sequencers(Pigments with synth fx engine turned off) with multiple splits on the keyboard. I can “unstick” by clicking on the triangular All Sounds off button. I’m also using a powered usb hub.

I haven’t noticed “stuck” notes with simpler graphs though.

cantabile

What controller are you using? Several of us, me included, had issues with Arturia keylab MKII controllers - that was a hardware issue which Artuiria fixed with a firmware update over a year ago. Personally I have not had stuck notes since.

FWIW, and not saying it is your issue, but some interfaces hate being in USB 3 ports, so worth trying a USB 2 alternative if you have one on your system and your interface is currently not plugged into it.

Despite being meant to be backwards compatible, I have seen issues.

E.g. My MOTU MIDI Express 128 is rock solid in a USB 2 port, but plug it into USB 3 and you get a shit load of hanging notes.

And my old Focusrite Diamond would crash Cantabile 2 on exit when it was in a USB 3 port, but not a USB 2 port - on inspection, there was a process that would not close under those conditions.

3 Likes

I think you might be on to something Derek. I am going to test it when I get a chance.

2 Likes

I think my issue with stuck notes is a VST problem. Arturia Pigments sometimes has “stuck” notes. I’ll follow up with them.

Have you tried this diagnostic?

I had an issue with stucks notes last night, using C4 (4041)
All of my gear is the traditional midi (DIN), roland UM2 midi being the only usb component. Doing a few of the things mentioned in here already did nothing, eg panic buttons.

Deleting the plugin stopped the hung note. However after investigating, I found the MIDI thru exapander I am using on the output of my JV-1000 (which is my controller for now) was the cause of the hung note. There’s obviously another broken solder joint on the thru boxes PCB, Likely a ground joint, re-soldering the joints should fix it.