Question regarding Process Lasso w Cantabile

I managed to get myself confused beyond what I’ll be able to sort out on my own, and need advice: I went for Process Lasso, based on the promising testimonials in this forum, and when reading the instructions I got the impression that unless I really knew what I was doing I would be fine with the standard setup - so I went for standard setup and no tweaks. However, I am now in doubt about the “Performance Mode”, if I understand it correctly this mode behaves similar to the windows “High Performance” power plan, i.e. it prevents CPU throttling. So, in short, my question is whether to

1. switch to “High Performance” power plan when launching Cantabile, or
  2. use Process Lasso to enter “Performance Mode”, or
  3. both of the above?
    I am using Lenovo laptops w Windows 11, so I need a little tweaking to enable/disable “High Performance”, but it works fine. However; I would prefer to leave the management of the power state to Process Lasso, if possible.

Hey Torsten,

You should only need to switch the power plan using the Cantabile option and use the Bitsum High Performance profile. Calling it from the process lasso app is not required.

Cheers,

Dave

2 Likes

Thanks. I tried to see if I could make it work like described - but the “Bitsum Highest Performance” plan is only available as an option in the Cantabile ‘Switch to power plan:’ dropdown when the power plan is already running, so I need to turn it on from Process Lasso to be able to select it. And if I then select it in the drop-down, then it is marked as ‘missing’ next time I open Cantabile - so I think that I have to go with switching it on from Process Lasso triggered by the Cantabile.exe process, and not change anything from within Cantabile - and, most important, forget all about using any power plans from Windows (which was my main concern/confusion).

I’m not sure if it is placebo or for real, but the PC feels a lot smoother to work with after I installed Process Lasso - seems to be worth the money spend on it.

Hi Torsten,

Not so on my rig, the bitsum high performace plan is there all the time in the drop down list and loads as expected on startup if selected. Weird, sorry if I gave bad advice :frowning:

Dave

1 Like

I agree with Dave, I don’t use Lasso, so Cantabile switches itself to Bitsum high power plan at load.

I don’t consider it bad advice, at the contrary, opened my eyes for an alternative, so I am grateful for the input (and confirmation from cpaolo that it ought to be like that). I’ll try to figure out if I can make the power plan available permanently and use cantabile for the change, but it seems my setup works, so now it is mostly curiosity - and the benefit of having a setup that is similar to others so I can get inspiration from them.

I’m on W11 on Lenovo laptops, not sure if anything changed from W10 on this.

Thanks for the input and help!

1 Like

I thought that now that I have paid for the program, I might be entitled so an easy support question, so I asked BItsum if it made any difference how the High Performance was initiated, and there is a slight difference if they control it, and that is that the process initiating High Performance is excluded from the ProBalance cycle if it is managed from within Process Lasso.

The answer I got was this (I assume that they missed a ‘no’ or some kind of negation in the first statement):

Presently, there is any additional extra treatment for a Performance Mode process, aside from a ProBalance exclusion. However, that could change in the future. It is also is generally better to have all power automation in a single location.

Resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new one…just tried Process Lasso on my i9 13900 main DAW/Video Edit box and very impressed with it. Able to iron out overhead issues associated with power savings and bouncing between P and E cores. Really like the ability to set the content creation apps with their own power/I-O/affinity profiles while leaving the box with power savings options “on” in UEFI and using balanced power in Win. On i9 13900 the power savings when using the box for web browsing etc. is very noticeable. LOL, even the room is cooler when not doing content apps.

Also liking the ability to place “connection” processes for Waves, UA, Izotope, etc as lower priority all in one place so its easy to verify. At this point I’d say forget optimization manuals and messing with Windows settings. Just turn all of those things off inside the content creation app and do it all in PL. IME better optimization in way less time messing with it.

Will be interesting to see what it does for my old laptops.

I’m using it on a pair of old Lenovo X230 laptops - I think it helps these old laptops with the “greedier” VST instruments. I started with a profile posted on the forum here by Sven Godly and have tweaked it a bit since. I think it does everything Brad recommends regarding the processors in Glitch Free which is a time saver. The license I bought allows you to install it on all your computers so I’ve got it running on my Xeon E5 powered desktop I use for Reaper and Mixbus.

I have a pair of ancient Lenovo Revolve G810 convertables that it worked wonders on. The Pro Balance feature really smoothes out the audio on those by demoting windows processes on the fly that decide to go active at exactly the wrong time.