Question: Interface for Live Gig Use w /VST/plugins

but does the Behringer UMC404HD have its own driver or is it using ASIO4ALL?

Correct! That’s my “big” setup - works a charm, but a bit bulky (need a rack to carry it around). My small setup is a Zoom UAC-2. The price tag is very bearable, and the low latency performance is excellent - a definite recommendation if you can live with 2 outputs! But unfortunately, no DSP mixing, so will probably not work for you.

ATM, I’m experimenting with a Behringer UMC404HD for more outputs - seems to have pretty good latency behavior as well. But again, no DSP mixing.

Cheers,

Torsten

does the Behringer UMC404HD have its own driver or is it using ASIO4ALL?

Behringer has their own well-written UMC ASIO driver.I say well-written because the latency (at least for me) seems to equal the much-more-expensive RME BabyFace Pro. The driver is solid, but has very few features (like RME TotalMix).

Hmm, but overall, the Scarlett series’ low-latency performance hasn’t been too outstanding - seen a number of mixed reviews and measurements.

They’ve recently announced their 3rd generation of Scarletts - wonder if there have been any improvements on the latency side?

Sorry for the slight off-topic…

Cheers,

Torsten

??? Sorry what does that mean…

1 Like

Hey Torsten

I went through a long research period before dropping a dime on Scarlett. Much of that research was from what actual users were experiencing, not so much journalistic reviews. I also saw them in action in 2 local studios and was impressed with the low latency. My ears were my measuring test. Since I was looking for a mid-range unit, the more expensive offerings were not considered. I would not put a higher $$$ unit through the rigors of my gigging life. Fortunately, the 2 Scarletts I purchased are like tanks, and have held up to the constant barrage of load-in/out, heat/cold, high humidity/heavy rain, and fit my particular needs. I’ve experienced no latency problems whatsoever.
Thanks for the info on the 3rd generation…was not aware of their new products. Also glad to hear Behringer is performing well.

Cheers

Corky

I am using a 1st Scarlett 2i4 in my live rig and very happy with it. Focusrite were selling them off cheap a few years back at half price, so I could buy a main and spare unit for the same price as one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Second upvote for Focusrite. I’ve bee usibnt Scarlett 18i6 and never had a lick of problems. HW mixing, … allows me to send main outputs to the board and my own mix to the headphone jack, with one of the inputs being the rest of the band. Really like it. Super clean.

1 Like

I just got myself a focusrite claret 2 pre - very happy with it!

1 Like

Never tried Focusrite but hear good comments.
Personally I have had bad luck with MOTU UltraLite MkIII (loud “vynil-like” noise in the middle of a live TV show until complete computer reboot). Could be a power supply issue but nevertheless I just don’t trust it for live anymore.
Bought RME Fireface UC the next day and couldn’t be happier - never a single issue.
The single most important thing in an audio interface for live playing is its drivers and stability.
Matej

Also The Motu Ultralite has on board DSP efffects and 2 Mic Pre’s…check their website for more detailed features …

I wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate everyone’s comments. Final question. I narrowed it down to three (3) concerning latency and my needs for internal DSP function/power:

RME Babyface Pro
MOTU Ultralite MK4
Zoom UAC-4 (or 8)

The Zoom internal DSP (& MixEfx software) gives you reverb and delay, but no EQ or compression.
This unit is highly rated by everyone.

The MOTU internal DSP (& MK4 Mixer software) gives you full signal processing, very impressive mixer, and lots of hardware inputs and outputs.
However, I had read really bad reviews about the drivers and stability of the MK3 (previous version).

The RME Babyface internal DSP (& TotalMix FX software) also has full signal processing.

…so then, my choice would be to go w/ the Babyface, …unless anyone has anything good to say about the MK4 version of the MOTU…

I knew the Fireface USB had the built in processing but My Babyface Pro has no compressor or Reverb just Eq.

Dave

Yea, support at Synthax told me that The RME “higher” models provide full DSP processing. The Babyface Pro apparently has true onboard DSP mixing, routing, and EQ. Synthax told me it will provide reverb and delay to the TotalMix FX mixer, but only if you are using a Mac or Win computer (not an iPad), and that those effects are not onboard DSP generated, but generated from the TotalMix FX software program on the computer. In the grand scheme of things though, the EQ is what is mainly needed by me. There are better quality reverb & delay out there as plug-ins.

1 Like

Thanks Chuck, for the information … :grinning:

Dave

It was a toss-up between MOTU and the Babyface. More research on blogs revealed a lot more people having technical issues even with the “current” Ultralite MK4 model and lack of support, so …yesterday evening a put in an order with AMS for the Babyface Pro. Thank you to everyone for helping me out with this. Although I have been seriously wrestling with this for the past 4 weeks, I have been contemplating this purchase for over a year now. NOW I CAN RELAX!!

I’m using behringer interfaces for years and never had an issue. I don’t need any processing, though. I got a xair 12 for my IEM mix. That allows me to apply processing on the way out to FOH if needed and I can apply different processing to my monitor mix. Same with the monitor feed i’m getting.

I’ll receive the 8i6 directly from Focusrite as soon as it’s available. I’ll do latency-measurements and report back here:

1 Like

FWIW, for live gigs I use a Mixer that has USB audio included. Well you need a mixer for live anyway, so why not combine the two. I can recommend the Yamaha MG10XU. It has really solid Yamaha Steinberg ASIO drivers for the USB audio side of things.

Did you get a chance to look at the Motu Ultralite AVB interface? Im getting ready to buy my second one in a few days. It has been a great piece to gig and run sound with the AVB features…