Question for Neil re GeChic Monitor

Hi, Neil

Just a quick question on how you power your GeChic Monitor? Do you power it from the USB port providing the touch screen signals, or do you use the power input socket as well?

I’m asking as I am noticing problems where sometimes I get horizontal lines on the screen or it suddenly goes completely white as if it is crashed.

The USB connection is to a powered, hub, but I am starting to suspect that the combination of hub and a long lead is making the power input not quite good enough for the monitor.

If I plug the GeChic directly into the spare front port on the NUC PC it seems rock solid, so I think the next step is to try feeding it some separate power, but I thought I’d ask to see how you set it up.

Hi Derek,

I power mine from the USB port - I have a splitter that takes the cable into two USB outputs from my powered USB hub, on a cable about 2m long, and I’ve never had any trouble with it. Because it presumably draws non-negligible power, I prefer to drive mine from the hub, rather than from my PC.

Neil

Hi, Neil

Thanks. The fact that are you are using two ports from the hub is something I can investigate.

Not the same but a similar problem:

Currend status I use an IPAD mini for Text and it is connected with a USB/LAN-Addapter over rtp-MIDI

But loading my IPAD and have enough power to work with the Addapter at the same time is a big Problem for most USB-Hubs because it needs 2,4 A on 5V.

So at the end I put the orginal APPLE IPad Charger into my rack and now it works perfekt!

if you need a lot of energy at 5V USB this part is a good solution.

Jürgen

Hi, Jurgen

This is one thing I am going to try later on the desk, with a spare apple power adapter and a separate USB to micro USB lead just to see if it is more stable.

The funny thing is that using the short lead supplied with the GeChic plugged into hub the appears to be stable, so it “leads” (groan) me to think that lead length might also be contributing to the issue. I don’t mind having a seperate power source for the monitor, as that is easy to do.

As another data point for you,

I have one of these (4.5m)

and one of these (5m)

which run to my Gechic1303I along with various other cables in a snake from rack to keyboard. They plug into a Neutrik HDMI passthrough connector and a Neutrik USB 2 passthrough connector in my rack which then connect into a powered USB 3 hub and the HDMI output from my in-rack pc.

That single USB cable carries power and touch. Not had a single problem with it in an estimated 100 hours of operation.

I think I originally tried using a few combinations of HDMI and USB extension leads along with the original cable and did have problems, so I stopped using the original cable.

Thanks. I am using that brand of HDMI cable, but not tried that specific type of USB cable. I might give that a go.

I can’t remember the type I have. I another problem I have had with long USB cables is my Line6 Helix is happy on a 5M cable, but it hates a 6M cable! Other devices are fine with 6M…

It’s always about the length…isn’t it? :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

In this case it seems girth is also a factor!

1 Like

Hi.

Just reporting back on this. For the past week I have been running the GeChic powered from an Apple power adapter via a USB to micro usb lead, and have not noticed any problems, so I guess it is the ability of my USB hub to provide sufficient juice over a long lead is the issue. I have a solution now anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like