Pad controller and chords

Hi, I use Cantabile with a few VST and my M-Audio keyboard. The keyboard has several pad button.
I’d like to use a piano VST, for example, to play with the keyboard, and I’d like to assign some piano chords to different pad button.
Is there a workaround to do this?

Thanks!

As long as your pad buttons send different notes, you can use a midi plugin like Scaler to convert these to MIDI chords and then route that MIDI output to your piano plugin.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Yes, it seems to fit my needs, thanks!

BTW, if I want to start a midi sequence or a FL Studio song?

If you want to start a MIDI sequence, you’ll have to

• insert a media player in your song and load the midi sequence
  • Use a binding that is triggered by your pad button and starts the media player

If you want to start something outside Cantabile, it depends how that can be remote-controlled. I prefer MIDI control, so you’ll need a virtual midi connection like loopMIDI, then send out MIDI commands on this connection from Cantabile via bindings that are received by FL studio, listening to your loopMIDI connection. If FL studio is set up accordingly, you can start playback that way (I don’t use FL studio, so can’t help you there).

Not sure what version of Cantabile you are using - availability of media players and bindings depends on Cantabile version.

Cheers,

Torsten

Heads up - my m-audio keyboard pad buttons are set by default to midi channel 10 (standard midi drum channel). I know that might be obvious to some but if that had been mentioned to me it would have saved a bit of time.

Thanks everyone! I will do experiments!

Hi, I downloaded the trial of scaler, installed it, but can’t load it in Cantabile, everytime I have dll error 13206.

Well, there’s a number of chorder plugins out there - try the free one from InsertPizHere. Their website seems to be defunct at the moment, but you can download the plug here: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1642

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

@dsteinschneider

Hey Doug,

I know this is an old thread, but I was scanning search engine for m-audio pad controllers, and found your comment about channel 10 being assigned to the pads. I haven’t used the pads on my Oxygen yet, but decided recently to start using them. I’ve had some trouble assigning them for other than note control. I realize they are basically setup for drum use, but, have you been successful in using them for other CC# sends or binding them to other C3 settings without them also sending a note trigger?

Corky

Hi Corky,

I don’t know your note values but here is how to re-map using a C3 filter on the input port in C3 Options for your Oxygen.

the first filter converts from note C4 to CC# 31 on chan 10 and the second remaps the chan 10 messages you converted to chan 1 for use in C3. ( most stuff works on chan1 in VST world) You repeat the first one for each pad on your controller and put the second one after all of them.

Hope this helps old man :wink:

Dave

Ahhh…Thanks Dave! Was also wondering how to work-around Midi 10 on this. You saved me another question. :grin:
You now deserve one of my wonderful pics:

From one old man to another !

Many thanks

Corky

1 Like

Exactly the reaction I was expecting! :grin: needed a pic fix

1 Like

I made sure it covered the whole page, just as you like them…lol.

made a change to the routine, you only need the reroute filter once after you set up all the coversions.

Ok…that’s a good thing. I have pads on 2 other controllers, but they were very straightforward and easy to bind in C3. I am sitting at a gig, waiting to go on in about 45 min, and got a brain fart about how I could use the pads on my Oxygen in another project. So, I thought I could just test a few things while I wait. Forgot about pads being prioritized on midi 10.

Thanks Dave, what you posted is better than what I was doing. I just went in the m-audio software (Enigma) and reset the pads to default and used your Oxygen 88 input filter method

1 Like